2023 Dates: 8-11 December
aN ENCHANTING DECEMBER ESCAPE INTO THE magic of slovenia. WINTER SWIMMING, SAUNAS, CHRISTMAS MARKETS, STARRY STARRY SKIES AND LAKES SURROUNDED BY SNOWY MOUNTAIN PEAKS ...
We are delighted to bring you this wonderful three-night short winter break to Slovenia. This trip provides the perfect pre-Christmas getaway, based at the stunning 4* Hotel Bohinj, which has been awarded the Ecolabel certificate for its ecological efficiency. Escape to postcard perfect green lakes - surrounded by snowy mountain peaks, and let us look after you.
This weekend starts on Friday evening and finishes on Monday late afternoon. Swims are dips and all ages and swim speeds are welcome, regardless of whether or not you have tried winter swimming before. This trip is a mixture of winter dips, cold water swimming tips and advice, saunas, short walks through magical winter pine forests, starry night skies, festive markets and of course time to relax and enjoy the hotel's spa facilities. Transfers are included, so all you need to do is book flights and let us know when you will arrive!
- Duration: Friday to Monday - 3 nights (see GETTING THERE tab for flight suggestions and transfer information)
- Water temperature: Cold! Likely between 4 and 10oC, depending on swim location
- Daily swimming distance: this trip will be winter dips rather than long swim distances
- Swimming ability: Ideally you should be comfortable swimming out of your depth in open water, however speed doesn’t matter. This trip is about experiencing winter swimming at its finest. Unsure? Contact us!
- Are non-swimmers welcome? Non swimming partners are welcome to join the tour and make the most of the spectacular scenery. Non-swimmers get a 10% discount off the base trip price.
- 3 nights accommodation at the beautiful 4* Hotel Bohinj (see accommodation tab for details)
- Breakfasts and evening meals
- SwimQuest swim guide/s - based in Slovenia, with heaps of local knowledge!
- A full swimming itinerary with safety cover
- Group guided walks in the local area
- A visit to Ljubljana Christmas market
- Swim stroke video analysis session
- Return transfers from Ljubljana airport
- All transport to and from swims
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED?
- Purchase of any alcohol
- Wetsuits and fins (if required)
- Single supplement if you would like a room of your own (see ACCOMMODATION tab for details)
- Additional activities (e.g. hiking, cross-country skiing, massages, spa treatments)
ACCOMMODATIONWe will be staying at the beautiful 4* Hotel Bohinj which is nestled among the mountains, and with Lake Bohinj just 100m away, the views are truly stunning. The newly renovated hotel has been awarded the Ecolabel certificate for high quality, environmental effectiveness and ecological efficiency. The Wellness area at the hotel offers Finnish and Turkish saunas, an ice fountain, whirlpool and relaxation rooms, as well as massage and spa treatments. All rooms are fitted with warm hardwood floors and decorated with Alpine-style furniture.
DININGFrom breakfast to dinner, the hotel team strive to use local suppliers for the ingredients in the delicious meals on offer, including products with the “From Bohinj” label, which are sourced from local producers in Bohinj. Breakfast and dinner will be served in the hotel restaurant.
ITINERARYThese short-breaks are an ideal way to make the most of a long weekend. Please note, this itinerary provides an example of the types of swims we would complete, the itinerary will be based on the weather conditions and your ability. Transfers from Ljubljana airport are included in your trip price to ensure we can make the most of this short break.
FRIDAYMost flights land late on Friday. When you land, we will pick you up from Ljubljana airport and take you to the hotel (45 min transfer). At the hotel, there will be a chance to meet your guides and settle into your accommodation, ready for a jam-packed weekend. If your flight arrives earlier - please just let us know and we will ensure someone can collect you and deliver you to the hotel. We may be able to organise additional activities if you wish (such as an introduction to cross country skiing) or you are welcome to relax and make use of the hotel's facilities.
This morning we will meet for breakfast and a safety briefing, following which we will head down to lake Bohinj for a life affirming winter dip! After a sauna and a chance to warm up, enjoy lunch in a local restaurant and a winter swimming seminar. In the afternoon, we will robe up and venture out on a short walk to the stunning Sava River, where we will plunge into our second dip of the day. Later that evening, enjoy a warming meal at Hotel Bohinj's restaurant, before stepping outside to admire the starry, starry night sky - quite a sight.
SundayFor those who are keen, we will offer a pre-breakfast wake up dip in Bohinj. Then, after breakfast we will take a trip to Lake Bled - home of the recent International Winter Swimming World Championships! Warm up with some famous Blejska cheese cake and a cup of proper espresso. This afternoon we take you to a heated pool for (optional) swim stroke analysis and feedback from our swim guides on how to improve your swim stroke back at home. We will then take you back to the hotel, with time to enjoy the facilities before meeting for dinner and a stroke technique seminar.
MONDAYThis morning we will take you further up Bohinj for a spectacular swim nearer the source of the lake ... think chilly! Following which, we will warm up at the hotel and put suitcases in the van ready to head to Ljubljana for lunch and a wander round the festive markets before returning to the airport for flights back home.
We advise booking a later evening flight (5pm +) to make the most of your last day. SwimQuest can advise on additional nights' accommodation should you wish to extend your stay.
fly to ljubljanaLjubljana Airport is the nearest airport to our hotel (approximately a 45-50 minute drive). Slovenia’s neighbouring countries also have airports nearby, and are possible options:
- Trieste airport in Italy is a 2 hour drive
- Zagreb in Croatia is a 2 hour 20 min drive
- the Austrian airports of Graz (2 hour 40 min drive) and Klagenfurt (1 hour 35 min drive).
TRANSFERS INCLUDEDTransfers to (Friday) and from (Monday) Ljubljana Airport are included in your trip price for this swimming short break, to ensure you can make the most of your weekend. Simply book your flights and let us look after you from there!
hotel BOHINJIf you are driving or prefer to make your own way, please find the Hotel Bohinj address below:
READY TO BOOK?We’re so excited about meeting you in Slovenia. To book your trip, simply fill in the booking form below. Once you have submitted the form, Emma (our bookings co-ordinator) will be in touch to request payment and to help you with any additional requirements.
What do I pack?
- At least 3 swimming costumes
- Wetsuit (if you would like to wear one - optional) - our Partners at Zone3 offer a wide range of wetsuits, including the eco Yulex natural rubber range HERE and you get 20% OFF all full price Zone3 products with code : SWIMQUEST
- Two Pairs of swim goggles – ideally one clear and one tinted
- Towel for the swims (though bath towels are provided)
- Waterproof walking boots / comfortable walking shoes (it may be wet + muddy in places!)
- VERY WARM CLOTHING fleece or warm jumper, tracksuit trousers/sweat pants for putting on immediately after swimming.
- Sandals/aqua shoes / flip flops – for getting wet
- Tow float (required) - if you haven’t got one yet, you can find a great range from Swim Secure HERE and receive 15% off with code: 15SwimQuest23
- Dryrobe / similar (optional)
- Waterproof jacket
- Woolly hat, scarf and gloves
- Small daypack/rucksack to use for your personal equipment/clothing during the day (although you will receive a 10L SwimQuest dry bag to keep)
- Head torch (optional)