2024 Dates: 26 – 29 July
23 – 26 August
a SPECTACULAR immersion into the magic of slovenia, with postcard perfect green lakes, mountain peaks, emerald waters and A VISIT TO THE COASTAL TOWN OF PIRAN...
We are delighted to bring you this wonderful three-night short break to Slovenia. This trip provides the perfect relaxing getaway, based at the stunning 4* Hotel Bohinj, which has been awarded the Ecolabel certificate for its ecological efficiency. Escape to postcard-perfect blue green lakes, surrounded by mountain peaks, and let us look after you.
This weekend starts on Friday and finishes on Monday. Swims are gentle (2-4km) and all ages and swim speeds are welcome. Swim to Lake Bled’s island before lunch, explore beautiful Lake Bohinj and wander through the pine forest. Transfers are included, so all you need to do is book flights and let us know when you will arrive!
- Duration: Friday to Monday - 3 nights (see GETTING THERE tab for flight suggestions and transfer information)
- Water temperature: 22-26˚C
- Daily swimming distance: Most distances will be around the 1.5-2km mark, with an optional longer Bohinj crossing of 4km for those who are keen. Swim dips in stunning river locations are also built into the itinerary.
- Swimming ability: Ideally you should be comfortable swimming up to 1.5km in a pool or in open water, however speed doesn’t matter. This trip is about experiencing this stunning part of the world, rather than cracking out huge distances. Unsure? Contact us!
- Are non-swimmers welcome? Non swimming partners are welcome to join the tour and make the most of the spectacular scenery. Please note we use SUPS / Kayaks as safety escorts on these trips so non-swimming partners will not be able to watch from a boat as with some other SwimQuest trips. Non-swimmers get a 10% discount off the base trip price.
- 3 nights accommodation at the beautiful 4* Hotel Bohinj (see accommodation tab for details)
- Breakfasts and evening meals
- SwimQuest swim guides - based in Slovenia, with heaps of local knowledge!
- A full swimming itinerary with safety cover
- Group guided walks in the local area
- A day trip to coastal town of Piran
- Return transfers from Ljubljana airport
- All transport to and from swims
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED?
- Purchase of any alcohol
- Wetsuits and fins (if required)
- Single supplement if you would like a room of your own (see ACCOMMODATION tab for details)
ACCOMMODATIONWe will be staying at the beautiful 4* Hotel Bohinj which is nestled among the mountains, and with Lake Bohinj just 100m away, the views are truly stunning. The newly renovated hotel has been awarded the Ecolabel certificate for high quality, environmental effectiveness and ecological efficiency. The Wellness area at the hotel offers Finnish and Turkish saunas, an ice fountain, whirlpool and relaxation rooms, as well as massage and spa treatments. All rooms are fitted with warm hardwood floors and decorated with Alpine-style furniture.
DININGFrom breakfast to dinner, the hotel team strive to use local suppliers for the ingredients in the delicious meals on offer, including products with the “From Bohinj” label, which are sourced from local producers in Bohinj. Breakfast and dinner will be served in the hotel restaurant.
ITINERARYThese short-breaks are an ideal way to make the most of an August long weekend. Please note, this itinerary provides an example of the types of swims we would complete, the itinerary will be based on the weather conditions and your ability. Transfers from Ljubljana airport are included in your trip price to ensure we can make the most of this short break.
FRIDAYWhen you land, we will pick you up from Ljubljana airport and take you to the hotel (55 min transfer). Most flights on Friday will arrive between 4-6pm, leaving time to enjoy a beautiful acclimatisation swim in Lake Bohinj, plus time to settle in and meet your guides. If your flight arrives later - please just let us know and we will ensure someone can collect you and deliver you to the hotel in time to meet the group for the evening briefing and meal.
Today we will travel to Lake Bled, and complete our first swim, a swim to the iconic Bled Island, where we will ring a wishing bell on a tiny church - and slowly swim back to the shore for a well-earned traditional local pastry - the Blejska kremšnita - aka Bled cream cake! In the afternoon, we will travel to the Sava River, and take a walk along the banks before enjoying a gentle dip. Back at the hotel, we will have time for a quick shower and change before a delicious dinner in the hotel restaurant.
This morning we will get up early for breakfast before walking down to Bohinj for a cross-lake swim (around 4km). After a well-deserved lunch, your guides will take you up to the source of Bohinj - a stunning waterfall - with a chance for another dip if you are feeling brave (the water near the waterfall is decidedly chillier than in the lake!)
MONDAYThis morning we will put our suitcases in the van before driving to the coastal town of Piran for our last day of adventure before flights depart. We start our swim at Strunjan, known for its therapeutical salterns. We then swim a few kilometres towards the Venetian Mediterranean town of Piran, where we enjoy lunch in one of many pristine local fish restaurants, before heading back to the airport. We advise booking a later evening flight (7pm +) to make the most of your last day. SwimQuest can advise on additional nights' accommodation should you wish to extend your stay.
fly to ljubljanaLjubljana Airport is the nearest airport to our hotel (approximately a 55 minute drive). Slovenia’s neighbouring countries also have airports nearby, and are possible options:
- Trieste airport in Italy is a 2 hour drive
- Zagreb in Croatia is a 2 hour 20 min drive
- the Austrian airports of Graz (2 hour 40 min drive) and Klagenfurt (1 hour 35 min drive).
TRANSFERS INCLUDEDTransfers to (Friday) and from (Monday) Ljubljana Airport are included in your trip price for this swimming short break, to ensure you can make the most of your weekend. Simply book your flights and let us look after you from there!
hotel BOHINJIf you are driving or prefer to make your own way, please find the Hotel Bohinj address below:
What do I pack?
- At least 2 swimming costumes
- Wetsuit (optional) - our Partners at Zone3 offer a wide range of wetsuits, including the eco Yulex natural rubber range HERE and you get 20% OFF all full price Zone3 products with code : SWIMQUEST
- Swim fins (optional, although useful for additional speed and for technique drills if you have some)
- 2 pairs of swim goggles – one clear and one tinted
- Tow float (required) - if you haven’t got one yet, you can find a great range from Swim Secure HERE and receive 15% off with code: 15SwimQuest23
- Small daypack/rucksack to use for your personal equipment/clothing during the day (note you will receive a SwimQuest dry bag)
- Sandals/aqua shoes / flip flops – for getting wet
- Insect repellent
- Fleece or warm jumper
- Sun hat, sun cream and sunglasses
- A waterproof watch (optional)
- Travel insurance details