CONQUER 15km LAKE ANNECY
2023 Dates: 15-18 September (SOLD OUT)
Package prices: Solo £1890pp, 2-person relay £1140pp, 3-person relay £980pp, 4-person relay £720pp
ABOUT LAKE ANNECYThe magical Lake Annecy is set against a backdrop of spectacular mountain peaks in the stunning Haute-Savoie region of France. At 14.7km in length, it is the third largest lake in France; a beautiful and impressive addition to any long distance swimmer’s repertoire. The lake is fed by mountain springs, and is famous for its clean water and its unique light-turquoise colour.
IS THIS FOR ME?The SwimQuest Annecy trip is designed carefully so that you feel fully prepared and supported for your swim. This trip is designed to help you complete your swim, it is not designed to be a ‘relax and explore trip’. 15km is a big distance, so our guides will feed you, brief you, encourage you and do everything they can to help you achieve your goal. You will have two guides looking after you for your swim, one in your own personal support boat, and another providing roadside assistance. Whether you decide on a solo or a relay, you will need to prepare yourself for your swim and come trained and ready to complete the distance. We accept wetsuit and non-wetsuit swimmers. In June the water temperature is likely to be between 16-18oC, and in September the water is likely to be around 18-19oC. If you are at all unsure, feel free to call the office for some help and training advice. There is a 6.5 hour cut off time for the swim, however we will do out utmost to help you fit your swim into the day.
SOLO OR RELAY?We offer solo swims, two-person relays (we advise 45 mins each in rotation), three-person relays (45 mins each in rotation) or four-person relays (30 min each in rotation). Relay teams all sit on the escort boat with the relay swim guide when not swimming.
AT A GLANCE
- This trip runs from Friday – Monday. You can book one of two slots for your swim, Saturday AM or Sunday AM
- Non-swimmers are welcome to join the trip. Soloists are permitted one supporter on the support boat (unfortunately there is not enough space for relay teams to take supporters)
- Group size max. 8 swims (these may include relay teams)
- Water temperature approx. 16oC – 18oC
- 6.5 hour swim cut off (approx 2.3 km / hour)
- Everything included except transport to Cote Ouest apartments, plus any sightseeing you may wish to do
- Easily accessible from Geneva airport
- 3 night’s accommodation at the beautiful Cote Ouest apartments (based on a twin or double room, a supplement of £445 applies if you would like a room of your own)
- Dinner on Friday evening, breakfast, lunch and dinner on Saturday and Sunday, and breakfast on Monday morning
- Your own personal safety boat and SwimQuest guide for the duration of your swim
- An additional SwimQuest guide on road transport support
- Your swim feeds (we supply maxim / CNP, jelly sweets and bananas – please let us know if you would prefer to bring your own swim feeds)
- Transport to and from swim start and finish
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED?
- Travel to and from Cote Ouest
- Any alcohol purchases
- Wetsuit hire and fins (if required)
ACCOMMODATIONPart of the charm of this trip is staying in the modern, stylish Cote Ouest apartments, which provide direct access to the circular lakeside path, and are just a few minutes drive from the historic town of Annecy. Cote Ouest is a great base to get yourself prepared for a swim, and relax afterwards. All meals are provided on this trip, home-cooked and served in Le Loft, with a spectacular view of the lake.
ROOM ALLOCATION: DISCOUNTS AND SUPPLEMENTSRooms are allocated on an apartment share basis. If you would like an apartment to yourself, there is a sole use supplement of £445. If you are sharing an apartment with a friend, or would like to share with a guest of the same sex, we will allocate an apartment with two double beds. One will be in a separate bedroom and one bed would be in the living area. The bedroom will be allocated on a first come first served basis, or you can fight it out with your travel partner! If you would like to upgrade to a lake view apartment, please contact the office for availability and pricing (email@example.com).
MEALS AND DRINKSAll meals from Friday evening to Monday morning are included in your trip price, and will be served in “Le Loft” overlooking the lake. Bottled water, tea and coffee is provided alongside meals, however any alcohol is at your own expense. If you have particular dietary requirements, we are happy to cater for you, please just let us know in advance.
ITINERARYN.B. Your itinerary for the weekend is designed to help you complete your swimming challenge. This being said, nature can be unpredictable. Your guides will do their utmost to ensure that you complete your swim during the weekend, however timings may be flexed in order to make this happen. If the weather dictates that it is not safe to complete your swim during the weekend, the guides will do their best to offer an alternative window before you leave. This however cannot be guaranteed.
FRIDAY EVENINGCheck in is at 2pm, your guides will meet you and discuss the schedule for the afternoon / evening with you. Once everyone has arrived and settled in you will complete a safety briefing. In the evening you can sit back, relax and get to know your fellow swimmers over a home-cooked meal overlooking the lake.
SATURDAYSwim groups one and two will set off before dawn. Sunday's swim groups can get up and have a leisurely breakfast, before watching group one swim past the apartments (usually around 8.30am). Sunday’s swimmers are welcome to head into Annecy town and enjoy the old town, or walk around the lake on the lake path. Dinner will be served as a buffet so that tired swimmers can make their way to bed if they wish.
SUNDAYSwim groups three and four will set off before dawn. Saturday’s swimmers can get up and have a leisurely breakfast, before watching swimmers swim past the apartments (usually around 8.30am). Saturday’s swimmers are welcome to head into Annecy town and enjoy the old town, or walk around the lake on the lake path.
MONDAYMonday morning, we will offer a pre breakfast swim for anyone willing. After breakfast, it’s time to pack and head home.
TRAVEL TO LAKE ANNECY
trip start / finish times
- Check in is at 2pm on the first day, your guides will meet you on arrival and discuss the itinerary with you.
- Check out is at 10am on the final day.
AirAnnecy is 35km from the International Airport of Geneva. From Geneva airport, there are links to Annecy by train and bus. We would advise using www.skyscanner.net to find the cheapest flight options for you.
Getting from Geneva Airport to Lake Annecy
Transalis BusA cheap and easy option is to take a Transalis Bus service from outside the airport to Annecy Rail Station. You can then get a taxi to Cote Ouest, or if you let us know your arrival time at Annecy Station in advance, depending on your arrival time, we can come and collect you. Book a bus ticket via www.transalis.fr (return travel to Annecy €28 – journey time 1 hour 50 minutes)
TaxiA private taxi from Geneva airport to Annecy can cost anything from €90 - 150 one way. You may wish to try Geneva Shuttle, or annecy-geneve.com.
Car HireCar hire costs can be reduced if shared among a group and can give greater independence during the weekend. If hiring a car, do so from the French side of the airport. The French side of Geneva airport is actually called Geneva Ferney-Voltaire Airport. Once you have picked up your luggage go through to airport arrivals, turn left and follow French flag signs to enter the French Sector. There are many car hire companies to choose from (e.g. Europcar, Avis etc).
N.B. - Returning to Geneva Airport (French Side)If you have hired a car from the French side of the airport you will have to return the car to the same side. Your car hire company will give you dircections and advice when picking up your car on the best route to drop off the car.
Directions to Lake Annecy From The AirportOnce you have picked up your rental car there are two routes to get to Annecy. The most direct route crosses into Switzerland and along the Swiss Autoroute. For this, you will need to purchase a vignette (toll sticker) which costs around €40, payable at the toll. The alternative route does not cross into Switzerland, is slightly longer, but more scenic. This is the route that we would suggest taking and your car hire company will be able to provide a route map. Most hire cars offer satellite navigation for additional help if required.
WHAT DO I PACK?
- At least 2 swimming costumes
- Wetsuit (please advise SwimQuest office if you intend to swim wetsuit free) - our Partners at Zone3 offer a wide range of wetsuits, including the eco Yulex natural rubber range HERE and you get 20% OFF all full price Zone3 products with code : SWIMQUEST
- 2 pairs of swim goggles – one clear and one tinted
- Tow float (required) - if you haven’t got one yet, you can find a great range from Swim Secure HERE and receive 15% off with code: 15SwimQuest23
- Small daypack/rucksack to use for your personal equipment/clothing during the day (note you will receive a complimentary 10L SwimQuest dry bag)
- Sandals/aqua shoes / flip flops – for getting wet
- Insect repellent
- Fleece or warm jumper
- Woolly hat, warm clothes for post-swim
- Waterproof jacket or poncho
- Sun hat, sun cream and sunglasses
- A waterproof watch (optional)
- Travel insurance details
- Trainers / sports gear (optional - if you like to run, there is a lovely running track around the lake – non guided, at your own risk)
- Any additional food you may require for your swim feeds (SwimQuest provide standard Maxim feeds, bananas, jelly babies however if you use specific feeds then please do bring them).
TRIP INFORMATION PACKWould you like to print out our trip information and have a read at your leisure, or pack the notes ready for your trip? Click here to download a printable pdf version of these notes. Don’t forget, if you have any further questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
READY TO BOOK?We’re excited about meeting you on tour. To book your Annecy trip, simply fill in the booking form below. Once you have submitted the form, Charlie (our bookings co-ordinator) will be in touch to request payment and to help you with any additional requirements.
In booking with us, you accept our terms and conditions, which can be found here. If at any point you have any questions, feel free to contact us:
Charlie Beere | +44 7563 389238 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Alice Todd | +44 7825 301443 | email@example.com
Travel InsuranceAs a SwimQuest guest, you are required to have in place travel insurance that covers you for all activities you will be taking part in during your trip. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are fully covered for these activities.
Whatever travel policy you decide on, you will need to bring a copy of your current Certificate of Insurance to the safety briefing at the start of your SwimQuest holiday. Your swim Guides will need to take a note of your insurer, policy number and the number to call in case of an emergency claim.
Please note, if you are a UK resident and eligible for free health cover via the NHS, you do not need to take our a travel insurance policy for our UK based trips. You may still wish to take out insurance to cover you for events such as trip cancellation, luggage and personal liability.
World Nomads Travel InsuranceWorld Nomads travel insurance has been designed by travellers for travellers, with coverage for more than 150 activities as well as emergency medical, lost luggage, trip cancellation and more.
World Nomads do not offer cover over 65s, however if you are over 65 and looking for insurance, you may wish to browse some of the below price comparison sites. Please note - we are unable to advise on the suitability of any particular insurance policy.