2024 dates: April 13-19 | April 20-26 (1 female room share place left) | April 27 – May 3 (PRIVATE GROUP)
Price: from £1,695pp
Our Channel and Distance training weeks deliver serious training, invaluable seminars, and the opportunity to rest and relax.
IS THIS TRIP FOR ME?
You don’t need to be a Channel swimmer to come on this tour, but you should be serious about swimming. The aim of the week is to encourage and prepare you for your event, giving you the best possible chance of success. If you haven’t entered an event, but are keen to try some longer swims – this trip is ideal, as the guides will ensure that the week is tailored to suit your needs.
- Location, location, location The Islands of Hvar and Palmizana are swimmers' paradise. With miles and miles of wiggly secluded bays, secret beaches, and a place to swim regardless of the weather, this is a great location for this challenging long distance camp.
- An incredible team Our long distance guides are amazing people. Not only have they completed unfathomable challenges themselves; but they are passionate and dedicated to helping you complete yours too, and will go above and beyond to encourage you to push your boundaries.
- A thorough, busy itinerary Expect a packed itinerary. Alongside a challenging swim schedule, this trip involves daily seminars, distance swimming skills sessions (such as feeding from a boat), and technique advice.
- Cuisine to swim for! We work closely with our accommodation providers to provide a fresh, delicious menu for our swimmers.
- It doesn’t end there ... We pride ourselves on following our guest's progress. After your trip, we will be delighted to stay in touch, introduce you to others in the SwimQuest network and help you further with whatever advice you need post tour.
TRIP OVERVIEWOn this trip English Channel solo and relay swimmers will have the opportunity to complete a six-hour or two-hour qualifying swim. With a full safety escort and expert advice from the SwimQuest team, you can expect to push your boundaries, meet like-minded individuals and discover your full potential.
SWIMQUEST CHANNEL & DISTANCE HISTORYJohn ran the original Channel & Distance training tours back in 2007. Since then, SwimQuest has worked closely with Nick Adams (Channel Swimming and Piloting Federation), Freda Streeter MBE, Emma France and others, and refined these tours to ensure that guests not only return home having completed their mandatory cold water distance qualifiers, but also with a much greater awareness of the preparation and planning required to undertake a successful swim. Alongside the longer swims, the week includes valuable seminars on feeding, kit preparation and support crew selection, as well as swim training and technique sessions.
- Sea temperature: approx. 14-16oC
- Daily swimming: Depending on each individual’s event, swim duration will build gradually throughout the week, culminating in a six-hour swim for those training for a solo English Channel, and a two-hour swim for relays. Two swims per day.
- Swimming ability: Designed for individuals training for, or interested in long-distance swims
- Are non-swimmers welcome? Yes, non-swimmers are welcome to join the tour and enjoy Hvar, although they must be aware that the focus of the week will be on swimming and that partners and non-swimming guests may not be able to accompany swimmers on the boat for safety reasons.
- Accommodation at the 4* Adriana Spa Hotel, Hvar
- A tailored, long distance swimming itinerary
- Long distance seminars
- Long distance skills sessions (e.g. feeding from the boat, preparing for a swim, night swim)
- A selection of snacks
- Two safety boats
- Three swim guides
- Swim feeds
- Support throughout your Channel journey… we want to keep in touch and help you on your way!
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Travel to and from Hvar (guests are advised to fly into Split, we can arrange a representative to meet you there). See GETTING THERE tab for details.
- Wetsuits and fins (if required)
- Evening meals and any alcohol purchases
- Single room supplement (if you wish to stay in a room on your own)
- Room upgrades (if you want to book a Sea View room)
ADRIANA SPA HOTELOur base for the week is the Adriana Spa Hotel, in the heart of Hvar Old Town.
YOUR ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS
- Twin Share non Sea View room £1,695pp
- Twin share Sea View room £1,835pp
- Sole Use non Sea View Room £1,895pp
- Sole Use Sea View Room £2,115pp
the ITINERARYThere are two planned swims per day based on how you progress during the week. Please realise that the below is a very rough guide and that that we will adapt the week carefully for each individual. Swim guides will advise you each day on what is best for you, but in all cases the main objective will be to encourage you to achieve your personal goals. You’re likely to surprise yourself!
saturday Acclimatisation Swim: 400-800mWe will meet in the late afternoon for the mandatory safety briefing. Topics covered include: swim preparation, swim routes, feeding, prevailing weather, and safety procedures. We will then complete an acclimatisation swim in a sheltered bay. This allows the swim guides to assess your stroke and start preparing an individual plan for you for the week. Following this we will relax and have dinner, with time to discuss the week ahead. (If for any reason guests are unavoidably delayed, the briefing may be deferred to Sunday morning.)
Sunday Swim 1 AM: 1 hour | Swim 2 PM: BOROVAC ISLAND 1.5 hoursAfter breakfast we will complete the safety briefing (if not completed the night before) followed by the first swim, which will be a bay swim just along from Hvar Old Town. During the session the guides will be film you above and below the water. This will be a continuing theme throughout the week. Regular filming is an invaluable tool, and at the end of the tour you will receive all your films for future reference. The afternoon swim will be a slightly longer swim, allowing you to think about the stroke session.
Monday Swim 1 AM: Vlaka bay (1.5 hours) | Swim 2 PM: bay to bay (2 hours)
Tuesday Swim 1 AM: st klement’s south coast (3-4 hours) | Swim 2 PM: RESTToday we will run one long swim, which will enable you to experience an extended time in the water and out feed regimes into practice. The afternoon offers a chance to relax prior to a long swim the following day. We will continue with the informal seminars on topics such as swim preparation (logistics), training schedules, feeding programmes and support crews.
Wednesday Swim 1 AM: COAStline otok marinkovak (3-4 hours) | SWIM 2: north coast 2 hoursAn early breakfast, after which we will start the long swim on St Klement’s northern coastline. Your swim will be a mixture of timed swimming in each bay, plus bit supported sections between each bay, so you get a chance to practise feeding from the boat, and can add some variety to your qualifier. The experience you have gained during the week will give you the best opportunity to see what you can achieve! For the solo Channel swimmers in training, it will be the mandatory six-hour qualifying swim, and for all other guests we will have agreed a time to work to as your longest swim. All of you will be supported all the way by the guides with appropriate feeds and words of encouragement.
Thursday Swim 1 AM: 6 hour swim as per Tuesday (weather dependent) or relax with short recovery swims up to 1 hour
FRIDAY SWIM AM: SHORT BAY SWIMAs this is the last day, there will be a short pre-breakfast bay swim by the hotel as you will need to pack and prepare for your boat back to Split.
GETTING to hvarTravel to Hvar is simple - Fly to Split, catch a bus or taxi to the harbour, take the catamaran to Hvar. If you use the taxi service we recommend, they will take you to the harbour, give you your tickets, and put you on the catamaran to Hvar.
trip start / finish times
- The trip starts at 4pm on Saturday, however should you need to arrive slightly later due to ferry connections that is fine - please let us know your arrival time in advance.
- The trip finishes after breakfast on Friday morning, however many guests choose to get a very early ferry (6.35am) back to Split from Hvar so that they can catch a late morning flight. Do take a look at the ferry timetables in the links below.
2) Transfer from Split airport to the harbourFor this, there are 3 options:
- We can recommend the taxi service of Milivoj and Suzana (father and daughter) for this transfer as they are efficient and cheaper than the taxi’s outside the airport. They can meet you at Arrivals, take you to their taxi, and on to the harbour for your ferry. They can also buy your ferry ticket in advance so it is ready for you on arrival! You will then pay the driver on the day for the ferry ticket and taxi ride. If a number of you are arriving at a similar time, they also have a larger vehicle, so it’s a great way to club together on the taxi cost. If this is of interest, please contact Suzana on firstname.lastname@example.org, and say you are a SwimQuest guest and give your flight details. Please inform them of the ferry time you are aiming for and that you would like them to buy your ticket. If they think a different time is more suitable (due to any local events which may cause delays, etc) they will let you know. If you take this option, you pay the driver for the taxi and ferry ticket if you would like them to book one). Please note, if you buy your ferry ticket yourself in advance, please let Suzana know so they don’t buy you an extra one!
- Catch a bus - this is a longer journey, it can be around 1.5 hour.
- Get a taxi from outside the airport – this takes 45mins-1hour (around €35-40).
3) TRANSFER FROM SPLIT HARBOUR TO HVAR
- By Ferry or Catamaran - this takes circa 1hour (around €15-40 depending on service used).
- Pease take a look at the two providers below to check their sailing schedules for your date of travel to Hvar. If you decide to use Milivoj and Suzana from above, as mentioned, they can buy a ticket for you for the most suitable ferry time, based on your arrival at the airport. If not, you can buy your tickets in advance online.
leaving on the friday morning:There is an early morning ferry from Hvar to Split on Friday morning at 6.35am, should you wish to catch a morning flight.
What do I pack?
- At least two Swimming costumes
- Wetsuit - optional (although not allowed for traditional English Channel Solo or Relay Swimmers)*
- Two Pairs of swim goggles – one clear and one tinted
- Tow float (required) - if you haven’t got one yet, you can find a great range from Swim Secure HERE and receive 15% off with code: 15SwimQuest23
- Small daypack/rucksack to use for your personal equipment/clothing during the day
- Sandals/aqua shoes/flip flops – for getting wet
- Insect repellent (lemon based non-Deet repellents are good)
- Insect bite relief
- Warm hat, fleece or warm jumper, tracksuit trousers/sweat pants
- Waterproof coat/jacket
- Waterproof watch
- Sun hat, sun cream and glasses
- Travel insurance
- USB stick for your swim stroke video (these will also be uploaded to an online folder for you to access)
Wetsuits*Anyone that requires a swim specific wetsuit, can hire or buy ta swim wetsuit from www.mywetsuithire.co.uk. Please feel free to call mywetsuit hire and let them know you’re coming on a SwimQuest, they will be happy to advise you. If you do hire a wetsuit, please allow sufficient time for at least 3-4 swims of 1-1.5km to acclimatise to wearing the suit. Feel free to contact the office if you have any queries.
READY TO BOOK?We’re excited about meeting you in Croatia. To book your long distance trip, simply fill in the booking form below. Once you have submitted the form, Sarah (our bookings co-ordinator) will be in touch to request payment and to help you with any additional requirements. A deposit of 30% is required to secure your place, and the final payment is due 10 weeks prior to departure. Payments can be made by debit / credit card, by cheque, or by bank transfer.
In booking with us, you accept our terms and conditions, which can be found here. If at any point you have any questions, feel free to contact us:
- Sarah Broadley | +44 7917 033670 | email@example.com
- Charlie Beere | +44 7563 389238 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alice Todd | +44 7825 301443 | email@example.com