Intensive Technique week WITH olympian dan wallace – suitable for all abilities
2024 dates: 10 – 17 February 2024
Price: room share from £1,365, sole use room from £2,995 – see accommodation tab for details
Includes use of Club La Santa’s sporting classes and facilities
(Please note this trip is one day longer than our usual trips and runs Saturday – Saturday )
LA SANTA IS the only resort in the world with three 50m swimming pools. Created with the dream of ‘being the world’s best playground for active people’, there are over 30 sports activities which are included in your tour price.Soak up some sun at Club La Santa, Lanzarote, a world-famous sports resort. If you would like to improve your front crawl technique and become a more efficient swimmer, then this is the week for you. It’s also ideal for those who are new to swimming in open water and want to develop their open water swimming skills and experience. On this tour we will be joined by Olympian Dan Wallace, who will help you with your swimming technique, regardless of your ability level. As such, this tour will combine technique sessions in the pool with some lagoon sessions. There will also be time to enjoy some of La Santa's 30+ other spirting activities on offer - enjoy some yoga, hire a bike and explore Lanzarote's dramatic landscape or simply read a book whilst watching the waves. We should emphasise that this week is about refining your technique, not completing huge distances at speed.
about DAN WALLACEDan Wallace represented Great Britain in the Olympic Games and FINA world championships, and Scotland in the Commonwealth Games. The 2014 Commonwealth Games champion at 400 metre individual medley, he was part of the Great Britain 4 x 200 metre freestyle relay team that won gold at the 2015 FINA World Aquatics Championships, and silver at the same event at the 2016 Summer Olympics. More recently, Dan has discovered a love for open water swimming - and has joined the SwimQuest team as a coach, helping our guests improve upon and deepen their love and understanding for open water technique. You can read more about Dan in our SQ guide interview here.
ABOUT CLUB LA SANTA
- Water temperature: pool – heated / lagoon – 16-17oC
- Daily swimming distance: 2 – 3 km, broken down into two swims per day; (please note this location is flexible and swims will be tailored to the needs of individuals in the group)
- Group size – up to 14 guests
- Age range – 16+ (for family enquiries, please contact the office)
- Swimming ability: This location is suitable for beginners and intermediate swimmers. Minimum swimming requirement: we ask you are comfortable swimming 1-2 lengths in a 50m pool, without touching the side / bottom.
- Are non-swimmers welcome? Absolutely – non-swimmers are welcome to join the tour and take advantage of Club La Santa’s amazing facilities
- Accommodation at Club La Santa (see accommodation tab for details)
- Swimming itinerary, assisted by safety boats/kayaks where required and always escorted by swim guide/s
- Swim coaching and video analysis
- Use of Club La Santa's sporting facilities/classes
- SwimQuest dry bag and swim cap
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Travel to and from Club La Santa, Lanzarote (guests are advised to fly into Lanzarote, we can instruct on onward travel arrangements and can help organise a transfer to the Club if you wish)
- Wetsuits and fins (if required)
- Breakfasts, lunches and evening meals
COMFORT apartment OPTIONS (1-3 People sharing)
|Triple apartment share (taking one of the twin beds in the bedroom)||£1,910pp|
|Triple apartment share (taking the sofa bed in the living room)||£1,520pp|
|Twin apartment share||£2,170pp|
|Sole Use of Comfort apartment||£3,260pp|
SUITE apartment OPTIONS (3-6 people sharing)
|Apartment share (taking one of the twin beds in one of the bedrooms)||£1,635pp|
|Apartment share (taking one of the sofa beds in the living room)||£1,365pp|
|Sole Use of one of the bedrooms||£2,995pp|
ITINERARYWhat we have detailed below is a guide to the week. This will be adapted according to swimmers needs and the weather. There are two planned swims per day - at the beginning of the week the sessions will be pool based, moving into La Santa’s open water lagoon later in the week.
SATURDAY 10th FEBRUARY
- 2pm - welcome and safety briefing
- Acclimatisation swim in pool - a chance for you to get your feel for the water and for Dan and the guides to take a look at your stroke
SUNDAY 11TH FEBRUARY
DAILY FOCUS - BODY POSITION
Can you float? For some this comes naturally, for others this is something we have to work harder for. With a few simple tricks we can all experience the motion of floating through the water. Our body position sets up our entire stroke, it’s where you learn to work with the water and not against it.
- Pool 60 mins technique session
- Filming swimmers for video analysis
- 60 mins pool session - skills progression
MONDAY 12TH FEBRUARY
DAILY FOCUS - BREATHING
Do you find yourself out of breath as soon as you start swimming? You are not alone. It’s the number one challenge we all face and it can be the quickest fix. A few simple tweaks in the timing, technique and volume of your breath can control your entire mood in the water.
- Pool technique session and swim set
- Swim clinic
- 3-4pm Pool training session and skills progression
- 4pm - 6pm Individual video analysis with Dan (Group 1)
TUESDAY 13TH FEBRUARY
DAILY FOCUS - MOTION
In this section we will break down the mechanics of what makes us move forward. How do we propel through the water, what makes us move? Making every stroke count and understanding the beat of your stroke.
- 11am-midday - pool technique session
- 3-4pm - pool training session and skills progression
- 4-6pm - Individual video analysis with Dan (Group 2)
WEDNESDAY 14TH FEBRUARY
DAILY FOCUS - RECOVERY
Good swimmers make it easy for themselves. Swim smarter not harder. Understanding how we can break down your stroke into movement and recovery. The efficiency of your stroke will allow you to go further, faster and easier than you have before.
- 10-11am - pool technique and skills session
- 3-3.30pm - an introduction to dry land training for swimmers
- 4-5pm applying reformed technique into an open water environment (lagoon swim)
THURSDAY 15TH FEBRUARY
DAILY FOCUS - INTENSITY
Let’s go fast, but at the right time! Timing, intensity and acceleration is where we can start to develop speed. Where does our speed come from, how can speed change throughout our stroke? This final piece of the jigsaw will show you just that, how to swim fast!
- 9-10am Pool technique and skills progression
- 3-4pm lagoon adventure swim
- More open water skills: swimming in groups, deep water starts, buoy turns. Plus the art of drafting ...
FRIDAY 16TH FEBRUARY
DAILY FOCUS - TESTING
Let's put your skills to the test and apply your newly reformed technique into a pressured situation. Combining stroke count, distance and time to accurately track your improvements from day one.
- 8-9am Pool test session.
- 3-4pm Final Lagoon swim
SATURDAY 17TH FEBRUARY
- 7-8am - pool optional swim
- 10am checkout
GETTING TO CLUB LA SANTA
TRIP START / FINISH TIMES
- Please arrive at Club La Santa for 2pm on Saturday (note - rooms may not be ready until 4pm however your swim guides will meet you and give you a safety briefing whilst you wait for your rooms to be ready)
- The trip finishes after an early swim on Friday morning, check out is 10am.
fly to lanzaroteThere are many flights from the UK, Ireland and Europe directly to Lanzarote. When you are looking to book, some airlines classify Lanzarote as Arrecife or ACE (for the international airport code). We recommend searching on www.skyscanner.co.uk to find the cheapest flights.
travel to club la santaOnce you have landed in Lanzarote, you can get a taxi from outside of the airport for the 30 minute (approx.) journey to Club La Santa.
WHAT DO I PACK?
- At least two Swimming costumes
- Wetsuit - optional* - our Partners at Zone3 offer a wide range of wetsuits, including the eco Yulex natural rubber range HERE and you get 20% OFF all full price Zone3 products with code : SWIMQUEST
- Two Pairs of swim goggles – ideally one clear and one tinted
- Towel(s) for swims, although the resort provides bath towels for use in your apartments
- Finis tempo trainer (available here)
- Small daypack/rucksack to use for your personal equipment/clothing during the day (you will receive a 10L SwimQuest dry bag you can use for this purpose if you wish)
- Sandals/aqua shoes/flip flops – for getting wet
- Insect repellent & bite relief
- Fleece or warm jumper, tracksuit trousers/sweat pants
- Waterproof jacket
- Sun hat, sun cream and glasses
- Travel insurance
WETSUITS*Anyone that requires a swim specific wetsuit, can hire or buy ta swim wetsuit from www.mywetsuithire.co.uk. Please feel free to call mywetsuit hire and let them know you’re coming on a SwimQuest, they will be happy to advise you. If you do hire a wetsuit, please allow sufficient time for at least 3-4 swims to acclimatise to wearing the suit. Feel free to contact the office if you have any queries.
READY TO BOOK?We’re excited about meeting you in Lanzarote. To book your trip, simply fill in the booking form below. Once you have submitted the form, Charlie (our bookings co-ordinator) will be in touch to request payment and to help you with any additional requirements.
In booking with us, you accept our terms and conditions, which can be found here. If at any point you have any questions, feel free to contact us:
Charlie Beere | +44 7563 389238 | email@example.comAlice Todd | +44 7825 301443 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Travel InsuranceAs a SwimQuest guest, you are required to have in place travel insurance that covers you for all activities you will be taking part in during your trip. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are fully covered for these activities.
Whatever travel policy you decide on, you will need to bring a copy of your current Certificate of Insurance to the safety briefing at the start of your SwimQuest holiday. Your swim Guides will need to take a note of your insurer, policy number and the number to call in case of an emergency claim.
Please note, if you are a UK resident and eligible for free health cover via the NHS, you do not need to take our a travel insurance policy for our UK based trips. You may still wish to take out insurance to cover you for events such as trip cancellation, luggage and personal liability.
World Nomads Travel InsuranceWorld Nomads travel insurance has been designed by travellers for travellers, with coverage for more than 150 activities as well as emergency medical, lost luggage, trip cancellation and more.
World Nomads do not offer cover over 65s, however if you are over 65 and looking for insurance, you may wish to browse some of the below price comparison sites. Please note - we are unable to advise on the suitability of any particular insurance policy.