Intensive Technique week WITH TOTAL IMMERSION COACH James Ewart
Includes use of Club La Santa’s sporting classes and facilities
**Please note this trip is one day longer than our usual trips and runs Saturday – Saturday **
2024 dates: 10 – 17 February 2024
Price: room share from £1,365, sole use room from £2,995 – see accommodation tab for details
the only resort in the world with three 50m swimming pools. Created with the dream of ‘being the world’s best playground for active people’, there are over 30 sports activities which are included in your tour price.Soak up some sun at Club La Santa, Lanzarote, a world-famous sports resort. If you are comfortable swimming 400m plus front crawl and would like to improve your technique and become a more efficient swimmer, then this is the week for you. It’s also ideal for those who are new to swimming in open water and want to develop their open water swimming skills and experience. On this tour we will be joined by Total Immersion Coach James Ewart, who will help you with your swimming technique. As such, this tour will combine technique sessions in the pool with some lagoon sessions. There will also be time to enjoy some of La Santa's 30+ other spirting activities on offer - enjoy some yoga, hire a bike and explore Lanzarote's dramatic landscape or simply read a book whilst watching the waves. We should emphasise that this week is about refining your technique, not completing huge distances at speed.
about James EwartTotal immersion coach James Ewart is a technique-focussed swim coach, open water enthusiast and video analysis expert. James helps you understand what you should be doing when you are swimming and why. He is also a regular contributor to Outdoor Swimmer magazine. James is a Total Immersion Level 3 swim Coach and an STA Level 2 Open Water Coach.
Total Immersion was established over 30 years ago by Terry Laughlin. It is a tried and tested system for helping swimmers become more efficient. It also helps keep swimmers injury free; encouraging a safe range of movement for the shoulders. TI helps you become more balanced and streamlined, enabling you to move more effectively through the water.
ABOUT CLUB LA SANTA
- Water temperature: pool – heated / lagoon – 16-17oC
- Daily swimming distance: 2 – 3 km, broken down into two swims per day; (please note this location is flexible and swims will be tailored to the needs of individuals in the group)
- Group size – up to 14 guests
- Age range – 16+ (for family enquiries, please contact the office)
- Swimming ability: This location is suitable for beginners and intermediate swimmers. Minimum swimming requirement: 400m plus front crawl and comfortable swimming out of your depth.
- Are non-swimmers welcome? Absolutely – non-swimmers are welcome to join the tour and take advantage of Club La Santa’s amazing facilities
- Accommodation at Club La Santa (see accommodation tab for details)
- Swimming itinerary, assisted by safety boats where required and always escorted by swim guide/s
- Swim coaching and video analysis
- Use of Club La Santa's sporting facilities/classes
- SwimQuest dry bag and swim cap
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Travel to and from Club La Santa, Lanzarote (guests are advised to fly into Lanzarote, we can instruct on onward travel arrangements and can help organise a transfer to the Club if you wish)
- Wetsuits and fins (if required)
- Breakfasts, lunches and evening meals
- In some of the sessions we sometimes use Finis Tempo Trainers to help swimmers better understand the metrics of speed. We recommend that you bring one if you can to get the most out of these sessions.
For this tour, guests stay in Club La Santa’s Comfort and Suite apartments, and bedrooms are based on a twin share basis. If you wish, you can upgrade your room to sole occupancy, subject to availability. All of Club La Santa's apartments are designed so that the sofas in the living rooms turn into beds. The sofa beds are much better than they sound and are made up as comfortable singles! Below are the accommodation options and prices, plus descriptions of each apartment type.
The Comfort apartments consist of two single beds in the bedroom, plus a sofa bed in the living area, and one bathroom. The Comfort apartments accommodate up to 3 people.
An open plan living/dining area opens out onto a private terrace with a table, chairs and a washing line. The bathroom comes with a shower, and the kitchen is equipped with a two-ring hob, fridge, kettle, cafetière, toaster and microwave, as well as all of the usual utensils you would expect in a holiday apartment.
COMFORT apartment OPTIONS (1-3 People sharing)
|Triple apartment share (taking one of the twin beds in the bedroom)||£1,910pp|
|Triple apartment share (taking the sofa bed in the living room)||£1,520pp|
|Twin apartment share||£2,170pp|
|Sole Use of Comfort apartment||£3,260pp|
SUITE apartment OPTIONS (3-6 people sharing)
|Apartment share (taking one of the twin beds in one of the bedrooms)||£1,635pp|
|Apartment share (taking one of the sofa beds in the living room)||£1,365pp|
|Sole Use of one of the bedrooms||£2,995pp|
The Suite apartments consist of two bedrooms, each with two single beds, plus two sofa beds in the living area, and two bathrooms. The Suite apartments accommodate up to 6 people. The spacious terrace (28m²) has outdoor patio furniture, and the modern kitchen with elevated breakfast bar comes with an additional toaster, coffee machine, microwave and an electric kettle. The main bathroom is equipped with a shower, toilet, washbasin and hair dryer, whilst the second bathroom has a shower and toilet. Another washbasin is situated in the hallway for your convenience. All apartments have free wifi, a hair dryer and safety deposit box. Towels are changed daily and a cleaning service is provided 5 days a week.
ITINERARYWhat we have detailed below is a guide to the week. This will be adapted according to swimmers needs and the weather. There are two planned swims per day. At the beginning of the week the sessions will be pool based, moving into La Santa’s open water lagoon later in the week. Swim guides will advise you each day on what is best for you, but in all cases the main objective will be to encourage you to achieve your personal goals.
There will be a mixture of technique focused sessions aimed at helping swimmers improve efficiency, fitness sessions as well as video analysis. The technique focused pool sessions in this trip will help you take the guesswork out of your swimming. The open water swims will help you adapt to open water and become more confident and capable in that environment.
In some of the sessions we sometimes use Finis Tempo Trainers to help swimmers better understand the metrics of speed. We recommend that you bring one if you can to get the most out of these sessions.
During the week you will learn the importance of:
- Good balance and streamlining to become more efficient through the water;
- easy breathing;
- swimming with your whole body and not just your arms and legs;
- gaining greater propulsion by combining forces and not increasing effort.
SATURDAY 10th FEBRUARY
- 2pm - welcome and safety briefing
- Acclimatisation swim in pool - 500 to 1000m easy swim.
- Stroke assessment and getting your feel for the water.
SUNDAY 11TH FEBRUARY
- Pool 60 mins technique session
- Balance & stroke timing
- Filming swimmers for video analysis
- Pool 60 mins technique session
- Breath timing / stroke timing
- Breathing skills, how to integrate the breath into your stroke seamlessly
MONDAY 12TH FEBRUARY
- Pool technique session and swim set
- Catch clinic
- How to hold water effectively and maximise catch pressure
- 3-4pm Pool technique session
- Arm recovery / stroke timing / using “High Side” energy . Making swimming more effortless.
4.30pm - 6pm Individual video analysis sessions for swimmers with James (Group 1).
TUESDAY 13TH FEBRUARY
- 11am-midday Pool technique session
- Introduction to stroke counting. Technique focused swim set designed to help you optimise your stroke length.
- 3-4pm Pool technique and endurance
- Understanding your optimum stroke range. How to use endurance pyramids to build fitness
- 4.30-6pm Individual video analysis sessions for swimmers with James (Group 2).
WEDNEsday 14TH FEBRUARY
- 10-11am Pool technique and speed
- Introduction to the tempo trainer
- Tempo trainer set to help you optimise cadence for efficiency and/or speed
- 3-3.30pm Dryland / gym
- Understanding the muscular “sling systems” and how we use them for swimming. Exercises to encourage these muscle groups to work together.
- 4-5pm Lagoon swim
- Swimming straight and sighting skills
THURSDAY 15TH FEBRUARY
- 9-10am Pool session
- Speed metrics / tempo trainer session Exploring stroke length and cadence to find the most efficient “gear” for each swimmer.
- Open turns
- Focus on using the core and weight shifting. Combing forces “Coupling Motions” for more power and channelling energy forwards.
- Flip turns
- 3-4pm Lagoon adventure swim
- More open water skills: swimming in groups, deep water starts, buoy turns. Plus the art of drafting.
FRIDAY 16TH FEBRUARY
- 8-9am Pool session
- Tempo trainer and technique session
- How to build endurance in the pool without doing long continuous swims. Using the weight shift to make swimming easier.
- Final filming session (video analysis will be sent to you individually when you get home).
- 3-4pm Lagoon swim
- Swimming a set course. Applying new skills in an open water environment. straight line swimming competition.
SATURDAY 17TH FEBRUARY
- 7-8am Pool optional swim
- Pre Breakfast swim. Two options: Lane 1 - Easy swim down session. Lane 2 - “Burn Out” session.
- 10am checkout
GETTING TO CLUB LA SANTA
TRIP START / FINISH TIMES
- Please arrive at Club La Santa for 2pm on Saturday (note - rooms may not be ready until 4pm however your swim guides will meet you and give you a safety briefing whilst you wait for your rooms to be ready)
- The trip finishes after an early swim on Friday morning, check out is 10am.
fly to lanzaroteThere are many flights from the UK, Ireland and Europe directly to Lanzarote. When you are looking to book, some airlines classify Lanzarote as Arrecife or ACE (for the international airport code). We recommend searching on www.skyscanner.co.uk to find the cheapest flights.
travel to club la santaOnce you have landed in Lanzarote, you can get a taxi from outside of the airport for the 30 minute (approx.) journey to Club La Santa.
WHAT DO I PACK?
- At least two Swimming costumes
- Wetsuit - optional* - our Partners at Zone3 offer a wide range of wetsuits, including the eco Yulex natural rubber range HERE and you get 20% OFF all full price Zone3 products with code : SWIMQUEST
- Two Pairs of swim goggles – ideally one clear and one tinted
- Towel(s) for swims, although the resort provides bath towels for use in your apartments
- Finis tempo trainer (available here)
- Small daypack/rucksack to use for your personal equipment/clothing during the day (you will receive a 10L SwimQuest dry bag you can use for this purpose if you wish)
- Sandals/aqua shoes/flip flops – for getting wet
- Insect repellent & bite relief
- Fleece or warm jumper, tracksuit trousers/sweat pants
- Waterproof jacket
- Sun hat, sun cream and glasses
- Travel insurance
WETSUITS*Anyone that requires a swim specific wetsuit, can hire or buy ta swim wetsuit from www.mywetsuithire.co.uk. Please feel free to call mywetsuit hire and let them know you’re coming on a SwimQuest, they will be happy to advise you. If you do hire a wetsuit, please allow sufficient time for at least 3-4 swims to acclimatise to wearing the suit. Feel free to contact the office if you have any queries.
READY TO BOOK?We’re excited about meeting you in Lanzarote. To book your trip, simply fill in the booking form below. Once you have submitted the form, Charlie (our bookings co-ordinator) will be in touch to request payment and to help you with any additional requirements.
In booking with us, you accept our terms and conditions, which can be found here. If at any point you have any questions, feel free to contact us:
Charlie Beere | +44 7563 389238 | email@example.comAlice Todd | +44 7825 301443 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Travel InsuranceAs a SwimQuest guest, you are required to have in place travel insurance that covers you for all activities you will be taking part in during your trip. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are fully covered for these activities.
Whatever travel policy you decide on, you will need to bring a copy of your current Certificate of Insurance to the safety briefing at the start of your SwimQuest holiday. Your swim Guides will need to take a note of your insurer, policy number and the number to call in case of an emergency claim.
Please note, if you are a UK resident and eligible for free health cover via the NHS, you do not need to take our a travel insurance policy for our UK based trips. You may still wish to take out insurance to cover you for events such as trip cancellation, luggage and personal liability.
World Nomads Travel InsuranceWorld Nomads travel insurance has been designed by travellers for travellers, with coverage for more than 150 activities as well as emergency medical, lost luggage, trip cancellation and more.
World Nomads do not offer cover over 65s, however if you are over 65 and looking for insurance, you may wish to browse some of the below price comparison sites. Please note - we are unable to advise on the suitability of any particular insurance policy.