2019 dates on sale: 23-29 March 2019
EXPLORE THE 'SOFT CORAL CAPITAL OF THE WORLD', COOL OFF IN A SWIM-UP WATERFALL IN THE JUNGLE, TRY A NATURAL ROCK WATERSLIDE AND KICK BACK ON STUNNING BEACHES. A BUCKET LIST SWIM DESTINATION.
ABOUT taveuniTaveuni is Fiji’s third largest island and is known as "The Garden Island". The Bouma National Heritage Park makes up more than a third of the land, and an extensive marine park at Waitabu makes this an ideal location for a swimming vacation. Our tour is based at the beautiful, friendly, 4* Paradise Taveuni resort.
IS THIS FOR ME?During the week, we will complete two swims a day, with one afternoon off to rest and recover. Swims will be a mixture of stunning reef and coastal swims along with a visit to Taveuni’s waterfalls (which offer a short swim opportunity). You should be comfortable swimming in open water, however if you wish to swim shorter distances than our itinerary suggests, it’s fine to hop back on board once you’ve had enough. Ideally you should have some open water experience and be able to swim at least one kilometre in the sea. If you’re unsure, please don’t hesitate to contact the office for a chat. This trip is ideal for anyone looking for a pampered week away, with a combination of swimming, fantastic hospitality and time to relax. Throughout the week, you are more than welcome to swim both or just complete one swim a day – it is your holiday. Each swim will be escorted by a main boat and an additional tender that will have ample room for anyone wishing to watch or simply soak up some sun.
AT A GLANCE
- Places available from £2,395pp
- This trip is ideal for anyone looking for a relaxing swim vacation, with a combination of swimming, culture, wonderful food and time to relax.
- This trip runs from Saturday – Friday
- Non-swimmers are welcome to join the trip and can be on the boat if they wish. A 10% discount is offered to non-swimmers.
- Max group size 12
- Water temperature is between 25 - 26oC in March
- Everything is included except transport to and from Taveuni airport, plus any additional spa services, items or activities you wish to participate in
- You will need to fly to Taveuni airport via Nadi (see getting there tab for further details)
- Six night’s accommodation at Paradise Taveuni (upgrades and single supplements available, please see accommodation tab)
- Daily housekeeping service
- All meals (from dinner on Saturday evening, to breakfast on Friday morning)
- A fully guided swimming itinerary, based on two swims a day
- Qualified SwimQuest guide/s
- Safety boat/s
- A local ocean and area guide
- Optional stroke video analysis and one-to-one swim coaching sessions
- A Fijian night & Kava ceremony
- Optional in-resort experiences, such as frond weaving, coconut lessons, & 'bury the lovo’ cooking class
- A 10L SwimQuest dry bag and a SwimQuest swim cap
- VAT & taxes - a 9% Government Value Added Tax (VAT) is applicable to all goods and services in Fiji. Visitors staying in hotels and resorts are subject to 6% Service Turnover Tax (STT) and Environment & Climate Adaptation Levy of 10%. These are included in your holiday price.
PARADISE TAVEUNI, FIJIThe 4* Paradise Taveuni is located north of Vuna village at the southern end of Taveuni, one of the island’s most beautiful areas. Set on five acres of elevated oceanfront land, Paradise Taveuni offers impressive sea and sunset views.
OCEANVIEW BURES - £2,395pp twin / double share, £2,795pp sole occupancyThese Fijian Bures (pr: boo-ray - Fijian for house) have a private bedroom with a generous king bed and French doors opening onto a sundeck, complete with a day bed and ocean views. The spacious lounge room has mini bar, refrigerator, tea & coffee making facilities, safe & lounge furniture. There is both an indoor bath and shower and an outdoor private garden shower and jacuzzi. Your Bure is fan cooled and has ceiling fans in the bedroom & lounge room. If you choose a twin share option, a single bed will be added to the lounge area. The king-sized will reallocated on a first come first served basis, or you can pay a £100 supplement to secure the larger bed. You are welcome to choose the twin share option if you are travelling on your own - we will simply pair you up with another solo traveller of the same sex.
DELUXE OCEANFRONT BURE - £400pp upgrade supplement per bure
THE ITINERARYN.B. Please note, this is a rough guide to the week. We will adapt the week carefully for each individual and the prevailing weather. All swim activities are planned with safety as the paramount concern. Swim distances are adaptable and because of our extensive boat and safety cover we can deal with a mixture of abilities on this tour.
SATURDAYA SwimQuest representative will meet you at Paradise Taveuni (please advise us of your arrival time, we will ensure we meet you at reception). We will show you round the resort, and let you settle into your room before meeting for lunch and the safety briefing. After lunch, we will complete a short acclimatisation swim in the bay in front of the resort, and (if you wish) film you above and below the water so that your SwimQuest guides can help you improve your stroke throughout the week. In the evening, we will meet for sundowners and dinner - to get to know each other before the week begins. If you need to arrive later in the day, it’s no problem, just let us know.
SUNDAYOn Sunday morning after breakfast, we will head out for an easy coastal swim (approx 2km) along the coastline of Taveuni. Swim along a labyrinth of lava flow covered in stunning hard and soft corals, and swarming in tropical reef species. After a leisurely lunch and a chance to digest, we will head out to to Vuna reef, for our second swim of the day.
MONDAYThis morning we head out to the legendary 32km long Rainbow Reef, a scenic 30 minute boat ride from the resort. Swim along the reef edge for approximately 3km and enjoy the multitude of tropical fish, hard and soft corals. After lunch on the white sandy beach of Vanua Levu, we will head back to rainbow reef for a second swim (approx 2km) before returning to Paradise Taveuni.
TUESDAYAfter breakfast, we will head north to Dolphin Bay. Swim with the currents along the reef, and watch the snapper and trevally below you. We will then head back to the resort for lunch. In the afternoon, join the Taveuni team and try your hand at frond weaving and coconut catching, or simply use the time to relax before we meet again for dinner later in the evening.
WEDNESDAYAfter breakfast, we will head north to Dolphin Bay. Swim with the currents along the reef, and watch the snapper and trevally below you. We will then head back to the resort for lunch. In the afternoon, join the Taveuni team and try your hand at frond weaving and coconut catching, or simply use the time to relax before we meet again for dinner later in the evening.
THURSDAYToday will be a big day as we head out to the Bouma National Park area. This morning, we will swim alongside the Lavena Coastal path. After lunch, we will walk through the national park to Taveuni’s swimming up waterfall, were we can cool off. There will also be the opportunity (conditions permitting) to have a go on Taveuni’s natural rockslide before we head back to the resort for our final evening.
FRIDAYThose on the early flight will depart at 6.30am. Those on the afternoon flight, can wake up and enjoy a leisurely breakfast and swim before packing and departures.
GETTING TO PARADISE TAVEUNIPlease don’t worry about your time of arrival on the Saturday. You won’t miss out on any of the big swims. For those who arrive early, it will be a chance to settle in and enjoy the resort. We recommend using a travel search engine (for example www.skyscanner.net) to find the best flight deals, and then booking directly with your chosen airline straight through to your final destination. This ensures you get the best baggage allowance and that your flights will match up even if you experience a delay.
- Fiji Airways operates international flights to and from Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Kiribati, New Zealand, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Taiwan, Tonga, Tuvalu, United States and Vanuatu.
- Virgin Australia operates flights to and from Fiji and Australia.
- American Airlines operates flights to and from Fiji and America.
- Qantas operates flights to and from Fiji, Australia and New Zealand.
- Air New Zealand operates flights to and from Fiji and New Zealand.
- Korean Air operates flights to and from Fiji and Seoul
- Jetstar operates flights to and from Fiji and Australia.
- Singapore Airlines operates flights to and from Fiji and Singapore.
HOW TO GET TO TAVEUNI FROM NADI / SUVA:
- Fiji Airways operates domestic flights to Taveuni on a twice daily basis.
- Island Hoppers operates regular services to and from Taveuni on their fixed wing planes or by Helicopter.
- Northern Air operates flights to Taveuni and return throughout the week.
- Pacific Island Air operates Seaplanes & Helicopters on a charter basis to and from Taveuni.
Ferry Service from Suva:
- The local car and passenger Ferry Lomaviti Princess travels to Taveuni from Suva overnight, operated by Gounder Shipping. The Ferry normally departs Suva on Mondays and Fridays at 6.00pm and arrives Taveuni on Tuesdays and Saturdays at 10.00am. This is an overnight Ferry. Booking a cabin is recommended if possible.
Email: email@example.com // Phone: +679 3301020 / + 679 3301035
Getting to Taveuni Via Vanua Levu:
- Princess Moana Ferry to and from Vanua Levu travels from Natuvu wharf on Vanua Levu to Taveuni and from Taveuni to Natuvu wharf twice daily. 90 – 120 minute trip. Departs Taveuni at 8.00am and 2.00pm daily. Departs Natuvu Wharf on Vanua Levu at 10.00am and 4.00pm daily. Phone:+679 7556672 / +679 9481149
- The local passenger ferry, Grace Ferry Services, travels to and from Natuvu Wharf on Vanua Levu to Taveuni each morning. Connect from Savusavu by local bus to Natuvu Wharf (1-2 hours) and then board the Grace Ferry service to Taveuni. This is a locally run service and they do not take bookings. Please speak to us about arranging this service.
Paradise Speed Boat Transfers from Vanua Levu – Taveuni:
Connect from Savusavu by taxi or local bus to Natuvu Wharf (1-2 hours) and then board one of our fast boats to Paradise. FJ$400 for 1 passenger. FJ$200 per person for 2 passengers or more. Contact us to arrange this service.
transfer to paradise taveuni (included in your trip price)Paradise is a secluded getaway, a one hour scenic drive from the Taveuni Matei airport. The road to Paradise from the Taveuni airport is sealed for 30 minutes and unsealed for 30 minutes. Our 4 wheel drive vehicles are used to this road and we of course try to ensure the comfort of our passengers at all times. You can bypass the unsealed section of the road by experiencing a Speedboat transfer if you prefer (see below).
BY SPEEDBOAT FROM THE AIRPORTA speedboat transfer to and from the resort is $300 return for 1-2 Guests. Our driver will meet you at the airport and drive you to the wharf along a sealed road. You then take our fast boat from the wharf to Paradise and enjoy a 30 minute scenic coastal ride along the way. Please contact us if you would prefer to take this option.
WHAT TO PACKIn addition to your everyday clothing and personal travel items, we would also recommend packing:
- At least two swimming costumes
- A wetsuit should you wish to wear one
- Two pairs of swim goggles
- Swim ear plugs if you are used to wearing them
- Rash vest (optional but can be useful in keeping the sun off)
- A beach / swim towel (the resort provides room towels)
- Sandals, aqua shoes or flip flops which you would be happy to get wet if necessary
- High factor water resistant suncream, sunhat and sunglasses
- Insect repellent
- Comfortable sportswear (optional - running / stretching / yoga)
- A sports bottle (as part of our quest to reduce the amount of plastic we use, we ask all guests to bring their own water bottle - alternatively you can purchase a reusable SwimQuest one on tour)
PASSPORTS AND VISASA 4-month visa is granted automatically on arrival to visitors from most countries, you can check the list here. Non-residents of the Fiji require a full passport to enter the country, which should be valid for at least six months beyond the expected length of stay. For further information, please visit https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/fiji. Please note that visa regulations are subject to change and we advise that you check your own visa requirements prior to travel.
VACCINATIONSFiji is free from malaria, yellow fever and major tropical diseases. Inoculations are only required if travelling from an infected area. There is an effective medical system in place with government and privately run hospitals, clinics, surgical centres, dental service and pharmacies. This being the case, it is important to visit your health professional at least 4 to 6 weeks before your trip to check whether you need any vaccinations or other preventive measures to travel to Fiji. You can check the latest country-specific information and advice from the National Travel Health Network and Centre on the TravelHealthPro website or from NHS (Scotland) on the fitfortravel website. Useful information and advice about healthcare abroad is also available on the NHS Choices website.
Health care facilities are adequate for routine medical treatment, but are limited in range and availability. Doctors and hospitals often expect immediate cash payment for health services. In the event of a medical emergency, evacuation is a likely option for treatment. Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any treatment abroad, medical evacuation and repatriation.
INSURANCEAs a SwimQuest guest, you are required to have in place travel insurance that covers you for all activities you will be taking part in during your trip. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are fully covered for these activities.
Whatever travel policy you decide on, you will need to bring a copy of your current Certificate of Insurance to the safety briefing at the start of your SwimQuest holiday. Your swim Guides will need to take a note of your insurer, policy number and the number to call in case of an emergency claim.
If you are looking for a travel insurance policy, we love worldnomads.com because they make choosing the right policy as painless as possible.Worldnomads.com do not offer cover over 65s, however if you are over 65 and looking for insurance, please feel free to contact us and we can put you in touch with alternative providers.
The temperatureFiji has two seasons: warm and even warmer! It’s a sunny, tropical climate that’ll wash the winter chills from your bones. In the cooler months (May - November) temperatures range from from 19° to 29°c, and from December and April, the temperatures register from 22° to 33°c. Expect the sea temperature in March to be around 25-26oC.
Time ZoneStraddling the 180th meridian, Fiji has frequently been called “the crossroads of the Pacific”. In fact, the International Date Line has been adjusted so that the entire archipelago falls into the same time zone, 12 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time. From November to February, Fiji moves one hour ahead with its own daylight savings.
Currency and BankingThe Fijian dollar is the basic unit of currency, available in denominations of $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100. There is a 24 hour currency exchange service at the arrivals concourse at Nadi Airport. ATMs are located around the country and at larger resorts and hotels.
TippingThere is no tipping etiquette in Fiji, but you may, if you wish, offer extra payment for outstanding service.
ElectricityThe electric current is 240 volts AC 50Hz. Fiji has three-pin power outlets, which are identical to Australia and New Zealand. Leading hotels and resorts offer universal outlets for 240v or 11v shavers, hair dryers and other electrical appliances.
TAXES (included in your price)A 9% Government Value Added Tax (VAT) is applicable to all goods and services in Fiji. Visitors staying in hotels and resorts are subject to 6% Service Turnover Tax (STT) and Environment & Climate Adaptation Levy of 10%.
READY TO BOOK?We’re excited about meeting you on tour. To book your Fiji trip, simply fill in the booking form below. Once you have submitted the form, Charlotte (our bookings co-ordinator) will be in touch to request payment and to help you with any additional requirements.
In booking with us, you accept our terms and conditions, which can be found here. If at any point you have any questions, feel free to contact us:
Charlotte Benton | +44 7743 233803 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Alice Todd | +44 7825 301443 | email@example.com