Price: from £1,140pp (3 nights)
2024 Dates: September 6-9
OVERVIEWThe beautiful, glossy Lago d’Orta is situated in northern Italy and is west of Lake Maggiore. This weekend tour is based at the Hotel l'Approdo, on the shoreline of Lago d’Orta. Lago d’Orta may be one of the smallest and least-known of northern Italy’s sub-Alpine lakes, but it certainly combines Italian style with stunning swimming. An ideal long weekend for an individual, couple or group looking to spoil themselves with good food, beautiful surroundings and glorious, relaxed swimming. The weekend will finish with a swim around the island of Orta San Giulio (pictured). The Basilica di San Giulio and the monumental old seminary (1840s) on the island were transformed into a Benedictine monastery in 1976. Getting to Lago d’Orta is easy – flights are available from London to Milan Malpensa at very reasonable prices (flight time approximately 2 hours), following which we would recommend a simple one-hour taxi transfer for you and your group.
- Duration: four days (Fri - Mon) - although please ask if you would like us to organise additional nights at the hotel for you
- Water temperature: 16 - 18˚C (wetsuits advised)
- Daily swimming distance: Distances build from 800m to 2km
- Swimming ability: You should be comfortable swimming up to 1km in a pool or in open water. The swims will often be in close proximity to the shoreline (the exception being the crossing to St Julian Island and to Pella) and escorted by a safety boat.
- Are non-swimmers welcome? Non swimming partners are welcome to join the tour and make the most of the spectacular scenery. For safety reasons partners may not be able to join the safety boat.
- Accommodation at the Hotel L’Approdo (see accommodation tab)
- All swims
- One-to-one swim coaching and video analysis
- Boat safety cover
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED?
- Lunches and dinners
- Purchase of any alcohol
- Wetsuits and fins (if required)
- Single supplement of £335 if you would like a room of your own
accommodationYour accommodation for this long weekend is at the 4*, lakeside Hotel l’Approdo. Nestling peacefully in the green of the mountains and surrounded by the blue waters of Lake Orta, Hotel l’Approdo enjoys a fine lakeside location. Amenities include a 25 meter swimming pool, lakeside decking sunbathing area, sauna, whirlpool and a range of massages (on request).
ROOM CHOICESTwin / double share rooms are allocated as standard, however if you would like to reserve a room of your own, a £335 supplement applies.
Address:Corso Roma 80, 28028 Pettenasco, Italy
ITINERARYN.B. All swim activities are planned with safety at their heart. Open-water swimming is always governed by the weather to ensure your safety. As a result, planned swims may need to be changed, depending on the prevailing weather conditions at the time.
Daily SwimsThere is an afternoon / evening swim on Friday depending on timings and the mandatory safety briefing. Two swims are planned for Saturday, one longer swim on Sunday and one pre-breakfast swim on Monday morning. You are more than welcome to swim both or do just one swim per day – there is no pressure to complete all the swims. Each swim will be in close proximity to the shoreline (the exception being the crossing to St Julian Island and to Pella) and escorted by a safety boat, giving you the chance to relax and enjoy your surroundings. There really is no better way to take in this stunning north Italian landscape.
Friday5.00pm: Welcome at the L’Approdo Hotel for the mandatory safety briefing. At the briefing we will discuss the itinerary for the weekend and if there is sufficient time we will then have a short acclimatisation swim in the lake before dinner. This gives the guides an opportunity to look at your stroke and later on help with suggested improvements throughout the weekend.
- 8.30am: Breakfast
- 10.45am – 11.45am: Swim 1 and filming
- 12.30pm: Lunch
- 2.00pm: Swim 2 - a coastal along Lake: 1.5-2.00km and stroke analysis
- 6.30-7.00pm: Dinner
- 8.30am: Breakfast
- 9.45am: Swim 3: 1.5 – 3.00km
- 12.30pm: Lunch
- 2.15pm: Optional additional swim / coaching tips
- 6.30pm: Dinner
- 7.30am: Early morning swim by hotel – optional as some guests may have to depart to catch onward flights home
- 8.30am: Breakfast
- 9.30am: Swim analysis summary
- 11.00am: Tour ends and group to check out and leave for onward journey home.
GETTING THEREThe nearest airport is Milan Malpensa. Once at Milan Malpensa, there are taxis available and the best option is to share the cost between your swim group, we will introduce you via email a couple of weeks before your trip. Taxis are approx. €110.00 each way and the journey will take approx. 1 hour 15 mins.
WHAT TO PACK?
- 2 swimming costumes
- Wetsuit (compulsory unless otherwise agreed with SwimQuest office) - - our Partners at Zone3 offer a wide range of wetsuits, including the eco Yulex natural rubber range HERE and you get 20% OFF all full price Zone3 products with code : SWIMQUEST
- Swim fins (optional)
- 2 pairs of swim goggles – one clear and one tinted
- Tow float (required) - if you haven’t got one yet, you can find a great range from Swim Secure HERE and receive 15% off with code: 15SwimQuest23
- Small daypack/rucksack to use for your personal equipment/clothing during the day
- Sandals/aqua shoes/flip flops – for getting wet
- Insect repellent – lemon based non-Deet repellents are good from Life Systems
- Fleece or warm jumper, tracksuit trousers/sweat pants
- Warm coat, warm hat, post-swim clothing
- Sun hat, sun cream and glasses
- Travel insurance (see below)
travel InsuranceFor this tour all guests will require comprehensive travel insurance. Please ensure you have adequate travel insurance before the tour, including cover for all the activities you plan to participate in. If you are in doubt that an activity is covered, you will need to contact your travel insurance provider for advice on cover. Fogg Travel Insurance are authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and are used to covering escorted open water swimming trips. If you wish to book travel insurance through Fogg, you can do so here. All guests will need to bring a copy of their insurance details with them, and will be expected to show policy details to the guides at the mandatory safety briefing.
In booking with us, you accept our terms and conditions, which can be found here. If at any point you have any questions, feel free to contact us:
Charlie Beere | +44 7563 389238 | email@example.com
Alice Todd | +44 7825 301443 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Travel InsuranceAs a SwimQuest guest, you are required to have in place travel insurance that covers you for all activities you will be taking part in during your trip. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are fully covered for these activities.
Whatever travel policy you decide on, you will need to bring a copy of your current Certificate of Insurance to the safety briefing at the start of your SwimQuest holiday. Your swim Guides will need to take a note of your insurer, policy number and the number to call in case of an emergency claim.
Please note, if you are a UK resident and eligible for free health cover via the NHS, you do not need to take our a travel insurance policy for our UK based trips. You may still wish to take out insurance to cover you for events such as trip cancellation, luggage and personal liability.
World Nomads Travel InsuranceWorld Nomads travel insurance has been designed by travellers for travellers, with coverage for more than 150 activities as well as emergency medical, lost luggage, trip cancellation and more.
World Nomads do not offer cover over 65s, however if you are over 65 and looking for insurance, you may wish to browse some of the below price comparison sites. Please note - we are unable to advise on the suitability of any particular insurance policy.