2023 Dates: 16-22 September (SOLD OUT) | 23-29 September (SOLD OUT)
2024 Dates: 18-24 May | 25-31 May | 14-20 September (PRIVATE TRIP) | 21-27 September
Price: from £1,695pp
Training for a long swim? Our 2024 Croatia Long Distance trips are on sale here.
overviewSwimQuest and the Meneghello family are proud and excited to welcome you to an exclusive hideaway on the island of St Klement, also known as ‘Palmizana’ or ‘the island of rosemary’. This island-hopping swimming holiday is an ideal way to explore Croatia at it’s finest. This gorgeous chain of 21 wooded isles boasts sapphire seas, deserted beaches and lagoons, and is set against a stunning botanical backdrop. Palmizana is easily accessible from Split.
- Price: from £1,695pp
- Relaxing island-to-island and coastal swims
- Dates: May and September
- Minimum swimming requirement 1km
- Average daily swimming = 4-5km / day split between two swims (do as much or as little as you like)
- Approx sea temperature range: May = 18-22 ̊C, September = 20-23 ̊C
- Non-swimming partners and families welcome
- Accommodation based in beautiful boutique bungalows and rooms (see ACCOMMODATION tab for room choices)
- Swimming, assisted by safety boats where required and always escorted by swim guide/s
- Breakfasts (including tea and coffee)
- Traditional home-cooked lunches - your swim guides will give you the menu at the start of the week, any dietary requirements can be catered for if we know in advance. Still water is provided with lunch.
- Safety boats
- Swim guides
- SwimQuest dry bag and swim cap
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Travel to and from Palmizana (guests are advised to fly into Split airport. From Split, we can arrange for someone to meet you at the airport and take you to the boat transfer. The transfer is easy.)
- Wetsuits and fins (if required)
- Evening meals
- Soft drinks and alcohol
- Single room supplements / villa upgrades
ABOUT PALMIZANA MENEGHELLOOur base for the week is the Palmizana Meneghello, a unique bohemian retreat nestled away on St Klement Island amongst pines, plans, exotic shrubs and aromatic herbs. Take your pick from colourful bungalows and villas, all built with local stone, decorated thoughtfully in deep vibrant colours, with local sculptures and contemporary artwork. We truly believe St Klement is the ideal base from which you can unwind and explore this incredible archipelago. Spend days swimming and relaxing, and evenings sipping gin and tonics in one of Palmizana’s exclusive waterfront bars. The Meneghello family have a rich history. In 1906, Professor Eugenio Meneghello bought 300 hectares of Croatian wilderness. Three generations on, the Meneghello’s pioneer eco-tourism in Croatia. Dagmar Meneghello, along with her daughters, have turned the island into a unique hideaway, bringing art and nature together in an extraordinary way. This resort has received fantastic press coverage both in The Telegraph and The Huffington Post.
YOUR ACCOMMODATION OPTIONSThe base price for this tour is £1,695, based on sharing a bungalow, and taking the smaller bed in that accommodation. If you prefer, you can take a large, main bed for an extra £65, or if you would like your own, private bungalow, there is an additional supplement of £335 for the week. Example bungalows are shown below. If you have any particular questions or preferences, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate you.
the bungalow set upMost of the bungalows at the Meneghello resort consist of one main room with a double bed, and an adjoining room, with a single bed. If you would like the larger bed, you can pay an additional £65 supplement (subject to availability). Please note, you will be sharing with one other person of the same sex, unless you specify that you would like to share a bungalow with a friend or partner.
Typical sharing room set ups:Romina II is a stone bungalow, with two bedrooms (one double, one single). Both rooms have access to the bathroom. There is also a terrace with a beautiful view of southern Palmizana bay. The Green Bungalow is a spacious split-level bungalow, with one bedroom upstairs (king-size bed) and a living room with an additional single bed situated on the ground floor. The green bungalow also has a beautiful terrace nestled in the trees.
sole use of a Private bungalow:If you would like a bungalow to yourself, there is a supplement of £335. Your bungalow will have a large bed, a living area, a bathroom and a terrace.
TECHNIQUE COACHINGTechnique coaching is an important part of the week and is provided by your swim guides on every trip. You will be filmed at the start of the week from below and above the water, and the guides will work with you to analyse your stroke so that they can help you to improve as the week progresses. You can of course take the footage home with you.
SaturdayWe will meet late afternoon for the safety briefing. Topics covered include: swim preparation, swim routes, feeding, prevailing weather, and safety procedures prior to the acclimatisation swim. Once completed, we will swim in the shallow bay by the hotel. This allows the guides to assess your stroke and assign you to a group with swimmers of a similar pace. Once completed, we will then relax and have dinner during which we will discuss the week ahead. If for any reason guests are unavoidably delayed, the briefing may be deferred to Sunday morning.
SundaySwim AM: Coastal swim, Paklinski Octi Island (1.5km) | Swim PM: A swim out to, and around Otocic Island (1.5km)
The day is designed to be easy, giving you time to settle in after your travels. Depending on the timing of the safety briefing, after breakfast will either be the briefing itself or the first swim. It will be a gentle coastal swim starting from the Meneghello’s private beach, following the coastline round to the south west, and back again into the bay. This is a good opportunity to acclimatise to swimming in your group. After a home-cooked lunch we will film your stroke above and below the water. We will then continue with a swim out to a nearby otočić (Croatian for small islet) and back. Later in the day the swim guides will play back the swim films, offering both advice and encouragement on your swim stroke.
MondaySwim AM: Exploring Otok Borovak and Planikovak (2-3km) | Swim PM: St Klement coastline swim (2-3km) After breakfast, we will board the boat and make our way to the island of Otok Borovak where we will look to swim around the island, and cross over to Otok Planikovak. After lunch, we will set off from the Menghello beach again, and explore slightly further along the coastline of St Klement.
TuesdaySwim AM: Dobri Otok Swim PM: Island walk (optional) and a secret bay swim Today we head out to Dobri Otok to explore the stunning marine life and soak up some sun on a relaxing swim around this little island. After lunch we offer the opportunity to walk to a secluded bay on St Klement (or take the boat, it’s up to you) for a gentle dip and some stroke technique work to cool off.
WednesdaySwim AM: “Island Trio” Otočić Travna, Otočić Mali Vodajak and Otočić Vodajak (4km) Today there will be one main swim, offering you the opportunity to swim around a trio of islands off the South West coast of St Klement. After lunch we will make our way back to the hotel for a free afternoon where you can enjoy the relaxed pace of the island, or use the opportunity to ask the guides for some one-to-one stroke analysis and advice.
ThursdaySwim AM: Swim to Duboka Bay (3km) | Swim PM: Vlaka Island & Fishermans Bay (2km)
The last full day of swimming. Weather and boat traffic dependent, we will look at swimming down the north coast of the island, in and out of beautiful inlets and finishing in the clear waters of Duboka Bay. After a lunch at Fishermans Restaurant, we will complete a circumnavigation of Vlaka Island before heading back to Menegello's.
FridaySwim AM: Sunrise swim
For those who are not catching the very early morning ferries, there will be a short sunrise bay swim by the hotel before you pack and prepare for your transport back to the airport.
IMPORTANT NOTENature and the weather can be unpredictable - your flexibility is important. All swim activities are planned with safety at their heart. Open-water swimming is always governed by tides and the weather. As a result planned swims may need to be changed, depending on the prevailing weather conditions at the time. All efforts will be made to keep to the itinerary, but it is likely to change at short notice.
GETTING TO PALMIZANA MENEGHELLO
TRIP START / FINISH TIMES
- The trip starts at 4pm on Saturday, however should you need to arrive slightly later due to ferry connections that is fine - please let us know your arrival time in advance.
- The trip finishes after breakfast on Friday morning, however many guests choose to get a very early ferry (6.35am) back to Split from Hvar so that they can catch a late morning flight. Do take a look at the ferry timetables in the links below.
TRAVEL TO PALMIZANATravel to Palmizana resort is simple. Fly to Split, catch a bus or use the taxi service we can recommend to you, who will take you to the catamaran, give you your tickets, and put you on the catamaran to Hvar. You will then be shuttled across to Palmizana on a 10 minute speedboat.
FLIGHTS TO SPLITFlying to Split is a two-hour flight from the UK. Airlines such as easyjet and British Airways provide regular flights from a variety of UK airports. For the best flight information and prices, please refer to www.skyscanner.co.uk or www.kayak.co.uk.
1. Transfer from Split airport to the harbour:
For this, there are 3 options:
- We can recommend Milivoj and Suzana (father and daughter) for this transfer as they are efficient and cheaper than the taxi’s outside the airport. They can meet you at Arrivals, take you to their taxi, and on to the harbour for your ferry. They can also buy your ferry ticket in advance so it is ready for you on arrival! You will then pay the driver on the day for the ferry ticket and taxi ride. If a number of you are arriving at a similar time, they also have a larger vehicle, so it’s a great way to club together on the taxi cost. If this is of interest, please contact Suzana on firstname.lastname@example.org, and say you are a SwimQuest guest and give your flight details. Please inform them of the ferry time you are aiming for and that you would like them to buy your ticket. If they think a different time is more suitable (due to any local events which may cause delays, etc) they will let you know. If you take this option, you pay the driver for the taxi (and ferry ticket if you would like them to book one).Please note, if you buy your ferry ticket yourself in advance, please let Suzana know so they don’t buy you an extra one!
- Catch a bus - this is a longer journey, it can be around 1.5 hour
- Get a taxi from outside the airport – this takes 45mins-1hour (around €35-40)
Please take a look at the two providers below to check their sailing schedules for your date of travel to Hvar. If you decide to use Milivoj and Suzana from above, as mentioned, they can buy a ticket for you for the most suitable ferry time, based on your arrival at the airport. If not, you can buy your tickets in advance online.
- Jadrolinija - https://www.jadrolinija.hr/en/ferry-croatia
- Krilo - https://www.krilo.hr/en/
3. 15 MINUTE SEA TAXI:The hotel sea taxi will collect you from Hvar harbour – this takes 15 minutes (approx. €15pp). The hotel will know when to collect you based on the ferry you catch, so please let us know your planned journey and we will pass this on. If you have any delays along the way, please let your guides know (contact details will be sent nearer the time). The cost of this is added on to your hotel food/drinks bill at the end of the week.
leaving on the friday morning:There is an early morning ferry from Hvar to Split on Friday morning at 6.35am. We can ensure you are taken to Hvar in time for this ferry if you are getting a morning flight. The cost of the transfer service from St Klement to Hvar will be €15pp (billed to your room in resort).
WHAT SHOULD I PACK?
- At least 2 x swimming costumes
- Wetsuit (optional)
- Swim fins (optional) – can be useful for additional speed and for technique drills
- 2 x pairs of swim goggles – one clear and one tinted if possible
- Tow float (required) - if you haven’t got one yet, you can find a great range from Swim Secure HERE and receive 15% off with code: 15SwimQuest23
- Small daypack/rucksack to use for your personal equipment/clothing during the day (although you will receive a SwimQuest 10L dry bag)
- Sandals/aqua shoes/flipflops – for getting wet
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Insect repellent
- Fleece or warm jumper for evenings
- Sun hat, sun cream and glasses
- A waterproof watch (optional)
- A memory stick should you wish to take your video analysis home with you immediately
- Travel insurance details
READY TO BOOK?We’re excited about meeting you in Croatia. To book your trip, simply fill in the booking form below. Once you have submitted the form, Charlie (our bookings co-ordinator) will be in touch to request payment and to help you with any additional requirements. A deposit of 30% is required to secure your place, and the final payment is due 10 weeks prior to departure. Payments can be made by debit / credit card, by cheque, or by bank transfer.
In booking with us, you accept our terms and conditions, which can be found here. If at any point you have any questions, feel free to contact us:
Charlie Beere | +44 7563 389238 | email@example.comAlice Todd | +44 7825 301443 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Travel InsuranceAs a SwimQuest guest, you are required to have in place travel insurance that covers you for all activities you will be taking part in during your trip. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are fully covered for these activities.
Whatever travel policy you decide on, you will need to bring a copy of your current Certificate of Insurance to the safety briefing at the start of your SwimQuest holiday. Your swim Guides will need to take a note of your insurer, policy number and the number to call in case of an emergency claim.
Please note, if you are a UK resident and eligible for free health cover via the NHS, you do not need to take our a travel insurance policy for our UK based trips. You may still wish to take out insurance to cover you for events such as trip cancellation, luggage and personal liability.
World Nomads Travel InsuranceWorld Nomads travel insurance has been designed by travellers for travellers, with coverage for more than 150 activities as well as emergency medical, lost luggage, trip cancellation and more.
World Nomads do not offer cover over 65s, however if you are over 65 and looking for insurance, you may wish to browse some of the below price comparison sites. Please note - we are unable to advise on the suitability of any particular insurance policy.