SWIM THE RIVER ARUN, WEST SUSSEX (6.5KM SWIM)
Price per participant: £85
2023 dates: Saturday 17th June | Saturday 19th August | Saturday 16th September | Sunday 17th September (please note – 17th is bookable via Aspire only)
OVERVIEWThe Arun is a beautiful river set in idyllic countryside. This is an excellent chance to complete a tidal-assisted, relaxed non mass-start swim and soak up the English countryside at its finest. At approximately 6.5km, you could use this swim as something to aim for, as a way of training for a longer event, or simply as a unique way to experience rural Sussex. If you are keen to complete a mid-distance swim, and would like to return to work on Monday morning having made the most of your weekend, then this swim is most definitely for you!
IS THIS A SWIM EVENT?This is not a mass-participation event! The maximum group size is 25 and swim guides will be close by to help and encourage you - you will have time and space to enjoy the river and its surroundings. Remember that you will be swimming with the tide, which will help make this distance feel easier than it would in a lake or in the sea. If you are unsure of your swimming ability, feel free to call the office and have a chat with a member of the SwimQuest team, who will be happy to advise you.
- Duration: One day - swim only
- Water temperature: 15-18˚C (wetsuits highly advised - please contact the office if you’d like to swim without)
- Swimming distance: approx. 6.5km. Because the River Arun is tidal, the swim route may differ slightly depending on the date and the UK Tide Timetable. Depending on the date chosen, SwimQuest will advise on the best possible river section to swim.
- Swimming ability: Swimmers should be comfortable swimming at least 3km in a pool and should have some open water experience
- Swim group size: max. 25 swimmers (We will look after you! This is not a mass-participation event)
- Are non-swimmers welcome? Non-swimmers are welcome to join the group for the post-swim lunch, and are more than welcome to come and spectate.
- Swim guides
- River safety cover
- SwimQuest swim cap
- Water and jelly babies during swim
- A light pre swim breakfast (e.g. bananas, croissants) tea and coffee
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Travel to and from the swim start and finish
- Wetsuits and fins (if required)
- Lunch post-swim (although there is a pub at the end if you fancy having lunch with your fellow swimmers)
ITINERARYYou will be sent a final itinerary for this swim a week ahead of your swim date, as the swim and timings are highly tide dependent, but below serves as a rough guide.
THE SWIMThe swim will start at The Black Rabbit Pub in Arundel, and finish in Bury Village, just down from The Squire and Horse pub. The swim distance is approximately 4 miles, or 6.5km. We will meet at the Squire and Horse Pub in Bury Village for a light breakfast and a full safety briefing. We will then drive to the swim start point (Black Rabbit Pub in Arundel) to start the swim. You will be split into rough speed groups. Each group will be accompanied by their own safety boat and swim guide. When we finish the swim, there is a short 10 minute walk back to the Squire and Horse pub, where we have reserved a table for lunch should you wish to treat yourself to a well-deserved feed!
2023 dates and times
SUNDAY 1st OCTOBER 2023For the swim we meet at the end point (The Squire & Horse, Bury Village, Bury Hill, Bury RH20 1NS) where we have our pre-swim safety briefing and post swim lunch. After the safety briefing we pool cars and drive to the swim start.
- Meeting time: 12pm
- Meeting point: The Squire & Horse, Bury Village, Bury Hill, Bury RH20 1NS (01798 831343) - www.squireandhorsebury.co.uk
- Swim Start Location: The Black Rabbit Pub, Mill Rd, Arundel, West Sussex BN18 9PB (01903 882638)
- Swim Start Time: 1.30pm
- Finish Location: Steps built into the LEFT SIDE of river bank at Bury village as per swim direction. We expect swimmers to be finished between 3.15 and 3.30pm.
INFORMATION FOR SPECTATORSIf your partner or friends would like to support the swimmers there are various vantage points along the way, the swim start, the bridge between South and North Stoke, Amberley Bridge and the swim finish. All provide excellent viewing spots for photographs, and the SwimQuest team can advise on timings and directions at the safety briefing.
KIT TO BRING WITH YOU:
- 2 swimming costumes
- Wetsuit (if you would like to swim without, please contact the office) - our Partners at Zone3 offer a wide range of wetsuits, including the eco Yulex natural rubber range HERE and you get 20% OFF all full price Zone3 products with code : SWIMQUEST
- 2 pairs of swim goggles – one clear and one tinted
- Tow float (required) - if you haven’t got one yet, you can find a great range from Swim Secure HERE and receive 15% off with code: 15SwimQuest23
- Fins (if you plan on wearing some)
- Small daypack/rucksack to use for your personal equipment/clothing during the day (ideally waterproof)
- Sandals/aqua shoes – for getting wet
- Sun hat, sun cream and glasses
- Waterproof watch (optional)
- Fleece or warm jumper, tracksuit trousers/sweat pants and warm hat for post-swim
HOW TO GET THERE
BY RAILFor train times we would recommend The Trainline - their website is www.thetrainline.com.
For The Squire & Horse Pubthe nearest station is Pulborough
For The Black Rabbit Pubthe nearest station in Arundel
TAXIS AT PULBOROUGH STATIONTri-Cars Taxis (Pulborough Station, Station Approach, Puborough, West Sussex, RH20 1AH) | 01798 875779
Taxis at Arundel StationCastle Cars (Arundel Railway Station, The Causeway, Arundel BN18 9JL) | 01903 884444
Squire and Horse postcode for Sat Nav: RH20 1NSTake the A3 from London and go past Guildford and then at Milford take the A283 to Petworth. At Petworth carry on the A283 to Pulborough and when you see the signpost to Fittleworth turn right at the brow of a hill. Carry on this road as it meanders through Fittleworth until it ends at a T junction. Turn right and the signpost then says Bury Village and The Squire & Horse is at the bottom of the very steep Bury Hill.
black rabbit POSTCODE FOR SAT NAV: BN18 9PB (*please remember we are meeting at the squire and horse first)For Arundel, you carry on up Bury Hill and you’ll come to a roundabout. Take the exit signposted to ARUNDEL / ARUNDEL CASTLE and as you come down a steep hill approaching Arundel take the filter road to your left. Carry on this road passing Arundel Cathedral to your right and turn left on the Arundel town one-way system and down the hill. At the bottom of the hill there is a small roundabout before a bridge. Turn first left at the roundabout and this takes you on a road with Arundel Castle on your left. Carry on for a few miles and you’ll come to the Black Rabbit Pub with a car park on your right and turn in here to park.
Places to stay in Arundelwww.booking.com/Arundel
Places to stay in Pulboroughwww.booking.com and www.airbnb.co.uk/West-Sussex
READY TO BOOK?We’re excited about meeting you on tour. To book your swimming holiday, simply fill in the booking form below. Once you have submitted the form, Charlie (our bookings co-ordinator) will be in touch to request payment and to help you with any additional requirements.