Is this for me?
Annecy is a truly iconic swim and a great long distance challenge to add to any open water swimmer’s repertoire. If you think 14.6km is a little too far, but are still keen to swim in the beautiful turquoise waters of Annecy – we don’t blame you! As such we have engineered this tour carefully so that it is possible to swim it in sections, or even with friends in a relay.
Immortalised by the impressionist painter Paul Cézanne in 1896 with his work Le Lac bleu (the Blue Lake) and set against a backdrop of spectacular Alpine peaks, Lake Annecy promises a magical swim. The turquoise lake is enclosed in the Haute-Savoie, one of France’s most beautiful regions. At 14.6km, it is one of the largest lakes in France and often hailed as “Europe’s cleanest lake”. Formed about 18,000 years ago at the time when large alpine glaciers melted, it is fed by many small rivers from the surrounding mountains; the Ire, Laudon, Bornette and Biolon and together with the underwater source at Boubioz it has a depth of 82m.
- Duration: three days
- Water temperature: 15 – 18˚C (wetsuits highly advised)
- Daily swimming distance: Option A: One long swim at 14.6km (Saturday) All swimmers will start early morning between 6-7am in Annecy, and swim to the end passing Bout du Lac keeping on the west shoreline. The early start ensures that a majority of the swim is completed before the lake becomes busy. Option B: Saturday Swim AM: 4km (1-2 hours) Swim PM: 4km (1-2 hours), Sunday Swim 1 AM: 3km (1- 1½ hours) Swim 2 PM: 3km (1- 1½ hours) The swim will start at 9.00am and the distance for each section will be confirmed prior to the swim as it is important that all swimmers adhere to the same distances.
- Swimming ability: you should think carefully about which option you would like to undertake – and if swimming the full length in one go, you should have trained accordingly. We are more than happy to talk to you before hand and advise on training and preparation if you are unsure.
- Are non-swimmers welcome? due to the nature of the swim, partners may not join the swim but are welcome to be at the end for the long swim and/or at the end of each section finish point.
- Boat safety cover
- Transport during the day (for the swims)
What’s not included?
- Travel to and from Annecy
- Lunch and dinner
- Wetsuits and fins (if required)