2022 Dates: Sunday 14th – Wednesday 17th August
Price: from £960pp
Enjoy winding waterways, marshland fields and feathery reeds by day, and wonderfully dark, starry nights.Based at the beautiful Mead Hotel in the picturesque village of Coltishall, this short break is a fantastic opportunity to explore river, broads and sea swimming, all in one county. Although it’s good to have some experience of open water swimming, this trip can cater for mixed abilities. If you have any questions or if you would like to chat to a member of SwimQuest staff about this short break, please contact the office.
- A great variety of sea, river and broad swimming in beautiful scenery
- Accommodation at one of Norfolk’s best boutique hotels
- Bed, breakfast and dinner are all included
- Optional swim stroke advice from your swim guides
- Experienced, local swim guides
- Sea temperature: 16 – 20oC
- River temperature: approx. 17-21oC
- Daily swimming distance: 3-4km / day, broken down into two escorted swims per day (with an optional longer swim on day two if you’re keen).
- Swimming ability: we would ask that you are relatively comfortable in open water, although speed is not an issue - breastrokers also welcome!
- Are non-swimmers welcome? Absolutely – non-swimmers are welcome to join this short break and can come accompany the group to each location or chill out and do their own thing and join the group for dinner at the end of the day. We offer non swimmers a 10% discount.
- 3 night’s accommodation at the Norfolk Mead Hotel (see accommodation tab)
- Swimming assisted by safety kayaks/boats as required
- Swim Guide/s
- Breakfasts and dinner included
- SwimQuest dry bag and swim cap
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Travel to and from the hotel
- Transport to each swim – we will pool cars (if you do not have your own transport, please let us know when booking)
- Wetsuits and fins (if required)
- Lunches and any alcohol at dinner
- Single room supplement (see ACCOMMODATION tab)
THE MEAD HOTELThe Norfolk Mead in Coltishall is a boutique hotel, with beautifully appointed bedrooms, a stunning restaurant, spa and Treatment Rooms, and relaxing grounds. An ideal spot for some laid-back luxury after your swimming adventures.
ROOMSWe have a selection of rooms with options on single occupancy, twin and double share basis. Please indicate your room choice on the booking form when booking. Given current Covid resrictions, we are unable to pair you with guests in a twin share, so would ask that you travel with someone you are happy to share with, or book a sole use room.
STANDARD DOUBLEDouble share £960pp, sole use £1,175pp
DELUXE DOUBLE / twinDouble or twin share £1,045pp, sole use £1,295pp
ITINERARYEach day we plan two swims, however as swims are weather-dependant this itinerary is liable to change. Both swim days involve a morning and an afternoon swim, with lunch at a local pub. You can do as little or as much swimming as you like, and if you’d like to swim only part of any swim, just let the guides know and they will do what they can to facilitate your request. During the short break, the Guides will offer any tips and advice on your freestyle stroke so if you do have any questions by all means ask them.
DAY oneArrive at The Norfolk Mead Hotel and meet at 5.00pm for the mandatory safety briefing before drinks and dinner.
day two - SEA SWIMMINGWe will be up in good time with a short pre-breakfast dip by the hotel in the River Bure. After breakfast, we will pool cars and drive to Sea Palling beach for our first swim (1.5-2km). Sea Palling beach has nine rock barrier reefs, which were installed in 1998 to act as sea defences. Luckily for us, these reefs also make great swim spots! After the morning swim, they’ll be time for a quick cup of tea before heading off to Mundesley Beach for lunch and our second swim. Once completed we’ll head on back to the hotel for some relaxation before drinks and dinner.
day three - broads & riversWe start the day with another pre-breakfast dip (entirely optional) near the hotel and after breakfast we will head for Wroxham Broad Car Park where we will change and start our first swim. We will swim around the lower part of Wroxham Broad, down the River Bure and then enter Salhouse Broad, finishing off at the small beach area and boat moorings. (2.5-3km). A great swim to make room for lunch at The Fur & Feather Inn. After lunch we will then make our way to Buxton Mill and swim down the Bure with the tide passing under Mayton Bridge (3.5km) where you can choose to get out, or if you’re full of energy, you can carry on all the way to Horstead Mill (a further 1.5km). From there, its a short walk back to our hotel for some down time before drinks and dinner.
day fourBreakfast and departures.
WHAT DO I PACK?
- At least 2 swimming costumes / trunks
- Wetsuit (optional)
- Swim fins (optional, although useful for additional speed)
- 2 pairs of swim goggles – one clear and one tinted
- Small daypack/rucksack to use for your personal equipment/clothing during the day (note you will receive a SwimQuest dry bag)
- Sandals/aqua shoes / flip flops – for getting wet
- Insect repellent
- Fleece or warm jumper
- Sun hat, sun cream and sunglasses
- A waterproof watch (optional)
- Travel insurance details (if from outside the UK)
- Trainers / sports gear - optional - if you like to run (non-guided), there are some local routes to explore
GETTING THEREWe are based at The Norfolk Mead Hotel, Church Loke, Coltishall, Norwich, Norfolk, NR12 7DN, UK Tel: 01603 737 531 E: email@example.com
DRIVINGAs you come into Coltishall on the B1150 (Norwich Road) you will come over a small bridge, there is a Jet garage in front of you; turn right just before the garage, follow the road round the corner, up a slight hill and you will see the Church on the right-hand side. Turn right just before the Church down the driveway and you will see The Norfolk Mead at the bottom of the driveway.
BY RAILFor train times and competitive fares try The Trainline - their website is www.thetrainline.com. The nearest station is Hoveton & Wroxham railway station is on the Bittern Line.
TAXISFor taxis from the station to The Norfolk Mead you can try 247 Cabs / 247taxis@wroxhamTaxi service in Hoveton, Tel: 01603 782247 or Wroxham Taxis on 01603 782925 http://www.wroxhamtaxis.co.uk/
By AirYou can fly to Norwich International Airport from many UK and European destinations – all details are on their website: https://www.norwichairport.co.uk/
READY TO BOOK?We’re excited about meeting you in Norfolk. To book your place, simply fill in the booking form below. Once you have submitted the form, Charlotte (our bookings co-ordinator) will be in touch to request payment and to help you with any additional requirements. A deposit of 30% is required to secure your place, and the final payment is due 8 weeks prior to departure. Payments can be made by debit / credit card, by cheque, or by bank transfer.
In booking with us, you accept our terms and conditions, which can be found here. If at any point you have any questions, feel free to contact us: Charlotte Benton | +44 7743 233803 | firstname.lastname@example.org Alice Todd | +44 7825 301443 | email@example.com