Dates: 18th – 20th June 2021
this short, intensive training weekend is a great opportunity to clock up some sea miles, with five lengthy fully escorted sea swims planned across the weekend.Based in the beautiful town of Penzance in the shelter of Mount's Bay, this short break is a great opportunity to clock up some sea miles ahead of your summer swim season. This tour has been designed for those with a long distance swim booked for this summer, or anyone keen to fit in an acclimatisation swim/s and get back into their distance groove. Conditions permitting, swimmers will be given an opportunity to complete either a two hour or a six hour qualification swim. You do not have to be training for an English Channel swim to book this trip, but you should be serious about swimming. Swims will be completed on time rather than distance. Wetsuit and non wetsuit swimmers are welcome. There will be a great selection of swims on offer, from Newlyn, Wherrytown up to Marazion. A great opportunity to get back in the water and up your swim confidence. *** Please note, unlike our other tours, accommodation is not provided for this trip - you will need to book your own ***
- A great acclimatisation swim opportunity to qualify for your relay and solo English Channel swims
- Wonderful swim locations on the stunning Cornish coastline
- Help and advice from your SwimQuest guides
- Group seminars on swim preparation
- Swim stroke / injury prevention advice (optional)
- Sea temperature: 14-16oC
- Daily swimming distance:All swims are completed based on time spent in the water – see “Itinerary” tab for details
- Swimming ability: This tour is designed for swimmers who are training for any long-distance swims (including English Channel relay and solos). The sea will be cold (less than 16oC). If you would like, you are welcome to wear a wetsuit, although those training for the English Channel may choose to swim without.
- Are non-swimmers welcome?Non swimmers are welcome to join the group, watch and listen, however the focus will be on helping swimmers complete their time in the water.
- A tailored, long distance swimming itinerary
- Long distance seminar/s
- Long distance skills sessions (e.g. feeding from the boat/kayak, preparing for a swim)
- A selection of snacks
- Safety support kayak and boat(s)
- Two swim guides
- Swim feeds (we will provide CNP, jelly babies and bananas)
- Support throughout your Channel journey… we want to keep in touch and help you on your way!
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Travel to and from Penzance and to meeting locations
- All meals and any alcohol purchases
- Specific swim feeds (please bring your own if you have special requirements)
ITINERARYAll swim times are entirely dependent on the weather conditions and the tide. Exact timings and locations will be confirmed nearer the time.
- Arrive in Penzance, check in to your own accommodation and meet at 5.00pm for the safety briefing (safety briefing location TBC)
- 6.30pm Dinner at a local restaurant (restrictions permitting)
- 9.00am Meet at Newlyn Beach for first swim (one hour) and to meet the safety support team.
- 11-12.00 noon Seminar: Feeding, Support Crew, big day preparation
- 2.00pm Meet at Newlyn Beach for a two hour swim.
- 7.00pm Dinner at a local restaurant (restrictions permitting)
- 8.00am Meet for first swim on the beach by the Penzance Skating Plaza – car park adjacent to the skating area. This swim will be a three hour swim (or less for those training for a relay / who need further acclimatisation)
- 2.00pm Meet at the same place for second swim. Swim time: 2.5 hours (or less for those training for a relay / who need further acclimitization)
- 6.30pm Dinner at a local restaurant (restrictions permitting)
- 7.00am Meet at Newlyn Beach for swim: Swim Time: 6 hours
- 1.00pm Swim completed and relax!
- 5.00pm Seminar: Swim de-brief, mental prep seminar
- 6.00pm Drinks and dinner
- 8.00am Morning dip and onwards departure home.
ACCOMMODATIONAccommodation is not provided as part of this package (due to the ongoing Coronovirus restrictions). As such, please book your own accommodation, arriving in Penzance on Friday and leaving on Monday. The Premier Inn is a cheap and cheerful option, well positioned by the harbour (and good training for Dover!) or there are plenty of options on airbnb or booking.com.
By RailYou can travel from London Paddington to Penzance – click on https://www.thetrainline.com/ for the latest times and fares.
By AirCornwall Airport Newquay has daily flights to and from London Heathrow besides other UK and European – click on the link for more details https://www.cornwallairportnewquay.com/ Once at Newquay Airport, it is approx. 40 miles to Penzance so you can take a taxi or go by train – information can be gained from Trainline or Rome2rio on https://www.rome2rio.com/ which is a door-to-door travel information and booking engine, helping you get to and from any location in the world.
DriveFrom London the journey is approximately 5hrs 30 mins going via the M3, A303 and A30, or you can opt for the M4, M5 and A30.
- At least 2 -3 swimming costumes
- Wetsuit (optional)
- 2 pairs of swim goggles – one clear and one tinted
- Small daypack/rucksack to use for your personal equipment/clothing during the day (note you will receive a SwimQuest dry bag)
- Sandals/aqua shoes / flip flops – for getting wet
- Fleece or warm jumper, tracksuit trousers, Dryrobe (or lots of loose layers to keep warm)
- Woolly hat
- Sun hat, sun cream and sunglasses
- A waterproof watch
- Travel insurance details (if from outside the UK)
- Trainers / sports gear (optional)
- Any swim feeds you prefer to use (we will be providing CNP, bananas, and jelly babies)
READY TO BOOK?We’re excited about meeting you in Cornwall. To book your place, simply fill in the booking form below. Once you have submitted the form, Charlotte (our bookings co-ordinator) will be in touch to request payment and to help you with any additional requirements. A deposit of 30% is required to secure your place, and the final payment is due 8 weeks prior to departure. Payments can be made by debit / credit card, by cheque, or by bank transfer.
In booking with us, you accept our terms and conditions, which can be found here. If at any point you have any questions, feel free to contact us: Charlotte Benton | +44 7743 233803 | firstname.lastname@example.org Alice Todd | +44 7825 301443 | email@example.com