Date: Sunday 23 September 2018
6KM WILD RIVER SWIM
CUCKMERE, EAST SUSSEXThe name Cuckmere is thought to derive from a Middle English word for ‘fast flowing’. Much like our River Arun Swim, this swim makes full use of the tide, as we wend our way through the South Down’s Way, passing the famous chalk horse on the hillside, and eventually finishing at The Cuckmere Inn, in time for lunch. This swim is suitable for confident open water swimmers only, as the river is narrow and reedy in places, especially at our starting point in Alfriston. The idea is to swim, float and enjoy, not to race!
IS THIS A SWIM EVENT?This is not a mass-participation event. The maximum group size is 25. SwimQuest guides will be close by to help and encourage you - you will have time and space to enjoy the river and its surroundings. Remember that you will be swimming with the tide, which will help make this distance feel easier than it would in a lake or in the sea. If you are unsure of your swimming ability, feel free to call the office and have a chat with a member of the SwimQuest team, who will be happy to advise you.
- Duration: One day - swim only
- Water temperature:15-18˚C (wetsuits advised - please contact the office if you’d like to swim without)
- Swimming distance: Approximately 6km
- Swimming ability: Swimmers should be comfortable swimming at least 3km in a pool and should be comfortable in open water.
- Swim group size: 25 swimmers (We will look after you! This is not a mass-participation event).
- Are non-swimmers welcome? Non-swimmers are welcome to join the group for the post-swim lunch at The Cuckmere Inn and are more than welcome to come and spectate and walk alongside the river bank.
- Swim guides
- Kayak/boat safety cover
- SwimQuest swim cap
- A light pre-swim breakfast (e.g. bananas, croissants) tea and coffee
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Travel to and from the swim start and finish
- Wetsuits and fins (if required)
- Lunch post-swim (although there is a pub at the end if you fancy having lunch with your fellow swimmers)
ITINERARYYou will be sent a final itinerary for this swim three weeks prior to your swim date, as the swim and timings are highly tide dependent, but below serves as a rough guide.
THE SWIMThe swim will start at The Little Bridge, Alfriston and finish at The Cuckmere Inn. The swim distance is approximately 3.7 miles, or 6km. We will meet at the Cuckmere Inn for a full safety briefing. We will then drive to the swim start point in Alfriston to start the swim. You will be split into rough speed groups. Each group will be accompanied by their own safety boat and swim guide. When we finish the swim, there is a short 10 minute walk back to the pub, where we have reserved a table for lunch should you wish to treat yourself to a well-deserved feed!
SUNDAY 23RD SEPTEMBER 2018
- Meeting point: For the swim we meet at the end-point (The Cuckmere Inn, Exceat Bridge, Cuckmere Haven, Seaford, East Sussex, BN25 4AB) where we have our pre-swim safety briefing and post swim lunch. After the safety briefing we pool the cars and drive to the swim start.
- Meeting time: 9.45am
- Swim Start Location: The Little Bridge, Alfriston. (We will leave our cars at The Willows Car park, 2 North Street, Alfriston, East Sussex, BN26 5UG)
- Swim Start Time: 11.15am
- Finish Location: Steps built into the LEFT SIDE of river bank at The Cuckmere Inn as per swim directions from your safety crew and at the safety briefing. We expect swimmers to be finished between 12.45pm and 1.00pm.
BY RAILWe meet before the swim at The Cuckmere Inn (formally known as The Golden Galleon), Exceat Bridge, Cuckmere Haven, Seaford, East Sussex, BN25 4AB. Tel: 01323 892247. The nearest station is Berwick Station.
- Seahaven Cabs | 01323 892223 | www.taxisseaford.co.uk
- Chyngton Taxis | 07093 302 384
- Beacon Taxis, Seaford | 01323 898888
- Terry's Taxis, Seaford | 01323 899444
BY CARThe Cuckmere Inn, Exceat Bridge, Cuckmere Haven, Seaford, East Sussex, BN25 4AB. Tel: 01323 892247. THE CUCKMERE INN – SAT NAV: BN25 4AB
DIRECTIONS - OPTION 1From the M25 take leave at Junction 6 and drive onto the A22 all the way to Lower Dicker Village (I kid you not). At Lower Dicker, turn onto Coldharbour Road then carry on as the road becomes Wick Street, then Station Road passing Berwick Station to Alfreston Village. Drive through the Village taking the Alfreston Road which then becomes the A259 and you will see signs to The Cuckmere Inn (formally known as The Golden Galleon) and we will meet in the car park.
DIRECTIONS - OPTION 2From the M25 take junction 7 onto the M23 to Brighton. Carry on until the M23 becomes the A23 and take the exit off the A23 to the A27 to Lewes. Carry on the A27 to Berwick and turn right at the roundabout onto the Alfreston Road which becomes the A259 and then carry on until you see signs to The Cuckmere Inn (formally known as The Golden Galleon) at a sharp left-hand bend which is Exceat Bridge and we will meet in the car park.
Swim StartFor the swim start we will meet at The Willows Public Car Park, 2 North St, Alfriston, Polegate, East Sussex, BN26 5UG. This is pay and display and walking distance from The Little Bridge in Alfriston where we will start the swim.
KIT TO BRING WITH YOU:
- Swimming costume
- Wetsuit (if you would like to swim without, please contact the office)
- 2 pairs of swim goggles – one clear and one tinted
- Small daypack/rucksack to use for your personal equipment/clothing during the day (ideally waterproof)
- Sandals/aqua shoes – for getting wet
- Sun hat, sun cream and glasses
- Waterproof watch (optional)
- Fleece or warm jumper, tracksuit trousers/sweat pants and warm hat for post-swim