SWIM THE RIVER ARUN, WEST SUSSEX (6.5KM SWIM EVENT)
Price per participant: £65
2017 dates: Saturday, July 22 (6 places left)| Sunday, July 23 (FULL)| Saturday, August 5 (14 places left) | Sunday, August 6 (bookable through Aspire only) | Saturday, September 2 (full)| Sunday, September 3 (12 places left)
OVERVIEWThe Arun is a beautiful river set in idyllic countryside. This is an excellent chance to complete a tidally-assisted swim and soak up the English countryside at its finest. At approximately 6.5km, you could use this swim as something to aim for, as a way of training for a longer event, or simply as a unique way to experience rural Sussex. If you are keen to complete a mid-distance swim, and would like to return to work on Monday morning having made the most of your weekend, then this swim is most definitely for you! Remember that you will be swimming with the tide, which will help make this distance feel easier than it would in a lake or in the sea. If you are unsure of your swimming ability, feel free to call the office and have a chat with a member of the SwimQuest team, who will be happy to advise you.
- Duration: One day - swim only
- Water temperature: 15-18˚C (wetsuits highly advised - please contact the office if you’d like to swim without)
- Swimming distance: approx. 6.5km. Because the River Arun is tidal, the swim route may differ slightly depending on the date and the UK Tide Timetable. Depending on the date chosen, SwimQuest will advise on the best possible river section to swim.
- Swimming ability: Swimmers should be comfortable swimming at least 3km in a pool and should have some open water experience
- Are non-swimmers welcome? Non-swimmers are welcome to join the group for the post-swim lunch, and are more than welcome to come and spectate!
- Swim guides
- Boat safety cover
- SwimQuest swim cap
- A light pre swim breakfast (e.g. bananas, croissants) tea and coffee
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Travel to and from the swim start and finish
- Wetsuits and fins (if required)
- Lunch post-swim (although there is a pub at the end if you fancy having lunch with your fellow swimmers)
ITINERARYYour final itinerary for this river swim will be confirmed 3 weeks prior to your swim date, as the swim and timings are highly tide dependent, but below serves as a rough guide.
On the day:We will meet at the Squire and Horse Pub in Bury Village for a light breakfast and a full safety briefing. We will then drive to the swim start point (Black Rabbit Pub in Arundel) to start the swim. You will be split into rough speed groups. Each group will be accompanied by their own safety boat and swim guide. When we finish the swim, there is a short 10 minute walk back to the Squire and Horse pub, where we have reserved a table for lunch should you wish to treat yourself to a well-deserved feed!
KIT TO BRING WITH YOU:
- 2 swimming costumes
- Wetsuit (if you would like to swim without, please contact the office)
- 2 pairs of swim goggles – one clear and one tinted
- Small daypack/rucksack to use for your personal equipment/clothing during the day (ideally waterproof)
- Sandals/aqua shoes – for getting wet
- Sun hat, sun cream and glasses
- Waterproof watch (optional)
- Fleece or warm jumper, tracksuit trousers/sweat pants and warm hat for post-swim
HOW TO GET THERE
BY RAILFor train times we would recommend The Trainline - their website is www.thetrainline.com.
For The Squire & Horse Pubthe nearest station is Pulborough
For The Black Rabbit Pubthe nearest station in Arundel
TAXIS AT PULBOROUGH STATIONTri-Cars Taxis (Pulborough Station, Station Approach, Puborough, West Sussex, RH20 1AH) | 01798 875779
Taxis at Arundel StationCastle Cars (Arundel Railway Station, The Causeway, Arundel BN18 9JL) | 01903 884444
Squire and Horse postcode for Sat Nav: RH20 1NSTake the A3 from London and go past Guildford and then at Milford take the A283 to Petworth. At Petworth carry on the A283 to Pulborough and when you see the signpost to Fittleworth turn right at the brow of a hill. Carry on this road as it meanders through Fittleworth until it ends at a T junction. Turn right and the signpost then says Bury Village and The Squire & Horse is at the bottom of the very steep Bury Hill.
black rabbit POSTCODE FOR SAT NAV: BN18 9PBFor Arundel, you carry on up Bury Hill and you’ll come to a roundabout. Take the exit signposted to ARUNDEL / ARUNDEL CASTLE and as you come down a steep hill approaching Arundel take the filter road to your left. Carry on this road passing Arundel Cathedral to your right and turn left on the Arundel town one-way system and down the hill. At the bottom of the hill there is a small roundabout before a bridge. Turn first left at the roundabout and this takes you on a road with Arundel Castle on your left. Carry on for a few miles and you’ll come to the Black Rabbit Pub with a car park on your right and turn in here to park.
Places to stay in Arundelwww.booking.com/Arundel
Places to stay in Pulboroughwww.booking.com and www.airbnb.co.uk/West-Sussex
READY TO BOOK?We’re excited about meeting you in West Sussex. To book this swim, please fill in the booking form below. Once you have submitted the form, Charlotte (our bookings co-ordinator) will be in touch to request payment and to help you with any additional requirements. Full payment of £65 is required to secure your place. Payments can be made by debit / credit card, by cheque, or by bank transfer. SwimQuest is a proud member of the Travel Trust Association, the only travel network in the UK to guarantee 100% financial protection to the consumer, ensuring total consumer confidence. here. If at any point you have any questions, feel free to contact us: Charlotte Benton | +44 7743 233803 | firstname.lastname@example.org Alice Todd | +44 7825 301443 | email@example.com