2018 dates: 21-27 April 2018, 28 April – 4 May 2018
"Our Channel and Distance training weeks deliver serious training, invaluable seminars, and the opportunity to rest and relax in a beautiful, hideaway, boutique resort."
IS THIS TRIP FOR ME?
You don’t need to be a Channel swimmer to come on this tour, but you should be serious about swimming. The aim of the week is to encourage and prepare you for your event, giving you the best possible chance of success. If you haven’t entered an event, but are keen to try some longer swims – this trip is ideal, as the guides will ensure that the week is tailored to suit your needs.
- Location, location, location The Island of St Klement is a swimmers' paradise. With miles and miles of wiggly secluded bays, secret beaches, and a place to swim regardless of the weather, this is a great location for this challenging long distance camp.
- An incredible team Our long distance guides are amazing people. Not only have they completed unfathomable challenges themselves; but they are passionate and dedicated to helping you complete yours too, and will go above and beyond to encourage you to push your boundaries.
- A thorough, busy itinerary Expect a packed itinerary. Alongside a challenging swim schedule, this trip involves daily seminars, distance swimming skills sessions (such as feeding from a boat), and technique advice.
- Cuisine to swim for! We have worked closely with the Meneghello family to provide a fresh, delicious menu for our swimmers. Meals will be served in the Meneghello restaurant, overlooking Palmizana bay.
- It doesn’t end there ... We pride ourselves on following our guest's progress. After your trip, we will be delighted to stay in touch, introduce you to others in the SwimQuest network and help you further with whatever advice you need post tour.
TRIP OVERVIEWOn this trip English Channel solo and relay swimmers will have the opportunity tocomplete a six-hour or two-hour qualifying swim. The trip is designed for people who are training for a long distance event, and those keen to find out if long-distance swimming appeals to them. With a full safety escort and expert advice from the SwimQuest team, you can expect to push your boundaries, meet likeminded individuals and discover your full potential.
SWIMQUEST CHANNEL & DISTANCE HISTORYJohn ran the original Channel & Distance training tours back in 2007. Since then, SwimQuest has worked closely with Nick Adams (Channel Swimming and Piloting Federation) and Freda Streeter MBE, and refined these tours to ensure that guests not only return home having completed their mandatory cold water distance qualifiers, but also with a much greater awareness of the preparation and planning required to undertake a successful swim. Alongside the longer swims, the week includes valuable seminars on feeding, kit preparation and support crew selection, as well as swim training and technique sessions.
- Sea temperature: approx. 14-16oC
- Daily swimming: Depending on each individual’s event, swim duration will build gradually throughout the week, culminating in a six-hour swim for those training for a solo English Channel, and a two-hour swim for relays. Two swims per day.
- Swimming ability: Designed for individuals training for, or interested in long-distance swims
- Are non-swimmers welcome? Yes, non-swimmers are welcome to join the tour and enjoy peaceful St Klement Island, although they must be aware that the focus of the week will be on swimming and that partners and non-swimming guests may not be able to accompany swimmers on the boat for safety reasons.
- Accommodation at the boutique Palmizana Meneghello resort
- A tailored, long distance swimming itinerary
- Long distance seminars
- Long distance skills sessions (e.g. feeding from the boat, preparing for a swim)
- A selection of snacks
- Two safety boats
- Two swim guides
- An accommodation and kitchen team
- Swim feeds
- Support throughout your Channel journey… we want to keep in touch and help you on your way!
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Travel to and from Palmizana Meneghello (guests are advised to fly into Split, we can arrange a representative to meet you there). See GETTING THERE tab for details.
- Wetsuits and fins (if required)
- Evening meals and any alcohol purchases
- Single room supplement (if you wish to stay in a room on your own)
- Travel across to Hvar should you wish to visit during your trip
ABOUT PALMIZANA MENEGHELLOOur base for the week is the Palmizana Meneghello, a unique bohemian retreat nestled away on St Klement Island amongst pines, plans, exotic shrubs and aromatic herbs. Take your pick from colourful bungalows and villas, all built with local stone, decorated thoughtfully in deep vibrant colours, with local sculptures and contemporary artwork. We truly believe St Klement is the ideal base from which you can unwind and explore this incredible archipelego. Spend days swimming and relaxing, and evenings sipping gin and tonics in one of Parmizana’s exclusive waterfront bars. The Meneghello family have a rich history. In 1906, Professor Eugenio Meneghello bought 300 hectares of Croatian wilderness. Three generations on, the Meneghello’s piooneer eco-tourism in Croatia. Dagmar Meneghello, along with her daughters, have turned the island into a unique hideaway, bringing art and nature together in an extraordinary way. This resort has recently received fantastic press coverage both in The Telegraph and The Huffington Post.
YOUR ACCOMMODATION OPTIONSThe base price for this tour is £995, based on sharing a bungalow and taking the smaller bed in that bungalow. If you prefer, you can take a large, main bed in a bungalow for £1020, or if you would like you own, private bunglaow, the cost is £1,280 for the week. Example bungalows are shown below. If you have any particular questions or preferences, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate you.
SHARING PLACE: SMALL BED: £995PP / LARGE BED £1020PPMost of the bungalows at the Meneghello resort consist of one main room with a double bed, and an adjoining room, with a single bed. If you are happy to take the smaller, single bed, the price is £995pp. If you would like the larger bed, the price is £1020pp. Please note, you will be sharing with one other person of the same sex, unless you specify that you would like to share a bungalow with a friend or partner.
Typical sharing room set ups:
Romina II is a stone bungalow, with two bedrooms (one double, one single). Both rooms have access to the bathroom. There is also a terrace with a beautiful view of southern Palmizana bay.The Green Bungalow is a spacious split-level bungalow, with one bedroom upstairs (king-size bed) and a living room with an additional single bed situated on the ground floor. The green bungalow also has a beautiful terrace nestled in the trees.
SOLE USE OF A PRIVATE BUNGALOW: £1,280If you would like a bungalow to yourself, the price is £1,280pp. Your bungalow will have a large bed, a living area, a bathroom and a terrace. Example:
the ITINERARYThere are two planned swims per day based on how you progress during the week. Please realise that the below is a very rough guide and that that we will adapt the week carefully for each individual. Swim guides will advise you each day on what is best for you, but in all cases the main objective will be to encourage you to achieve your personal goals. You’re likely to surprise yourself!
saturday Acclimatisation Swim: 400-800mWe will meet in the late afternoon for the mandatory safety briefing. Topics covered include: swim preparation, swim routes, feeding, prevailing weather, and safety procedures. We will then complete an acclimatisation swim in Palmizana bay. This allows the swim guides to assess your stroke and start preparing an individual plan for you for the week. Following this we will relax and have dinner, with time to discuss the week ahead. (If for any reason guests are unavoidably delayed, the briefing may be deferred to Sunday morning.)
Sunday Swim 1 AM: 1 hour | Swim 2 PM: BOROVAC ISLAND 1.5 hoursAfter breakfast we will complete the safety briefing (if not completed the night before) followed by the first swim venturing out of Palmizana bay and towards Borovac Island. During the session the guides will be film you above and below the water. This will be a continuing theme throughout the week. Regular filming is an invaluable tool, and at the end of the tour you will receive all your films for future reference. The afternoon swim will be a slightly longer swim near Parjanz bay, allowing you to think about the stroke session.
Monday Swim 1 AM: Vlaka bay (1.5 hours) | Swim 2 PM: bay to bay (2 hours)
Tuesday Swim 1 AM: st klement’s south coast (3-4 hours) | Swim 2 PM: RESTToday we will run one long swim, which will enable you to experience an extended time in the water and out feed regimes into practice. The afternoon offers a chance to relax prior to a long swim the following day. We will continue with the informal seminars on topics such as swim preparation (logistics), training schedules, feeding programmes and support crews.
Wednesday Swim 1 AM: COAStline otok marinkovak (3-4 hours) | SWIM 2: north coast 2 hoursAn early breakfast, after which we will start the long swim on St Klement’s northern coastline. Your swim will be a mixture of timed swimming in each bay, plus bit supported sections between each bay, so you get a chance to practise feeding from the boat, and can add some variety to your qualifier. The experience you have gained during the week will give you the best opportunity to see what you can achieve! For the solo Channel swimmers in training, it will be the mandatory six-hour qualifying swim, and for all other guests we will have agreed a time to work to as your longest swim. All of you will be supported all the way by the guides with appropriate feeds and words of encouragement.
Thursday Swim 1 AM: 6 hour swim as per Tuesday (weather dependent) or relax with short recovery swims up to 1 hour
FRIDAY SWIM AM: SHORT BAY SWIMAs this is the last day, there will be a short pre-breakfast bay swim by the hotel as you will need to pack and prepare for your boat back to Split.
GETTING TO PALMIZANA MENEGHELLOTravel to Palmizana resort is simple. Fly to Split, meet our representative, who will drive you to the catamaran, give you your tickets, and put you on the catermeran to Hvar. On Saturdays, the catermerans run at 2.00pm and 4.30pm, so we advise booking your flights to leave two hours between landing and your cameraman departure. From Hvar, its a 10 minute speedboat journey to the report, which we will organise to co-incide with your catermeran. The total cost of the journey is £50 each way. Please let the office know your arrival time and flight number and we will book the transfer for you.
FLIGHTS TO SPLITFlying to Split is a two-hour flight from the UK. Airlines such as easyjet and British Airways provide regular flights from a variety of UK airports. For the best flight information and prices, please refer to www.skyscanner.co.uk or www.kayak.co.uk.
YOUR TRANSFER EXPLAINED:Meet our representative Milivoj when you exit the airport. Milivoj will be waiting for you with a SWIMQUEST sign, and will drive you to Split Harbour to get the catermeran (30 mins drive, 1 hour catermeran). The cost of this service is €45, please pay Milivoj in cash. When you exit the catermeran, the Palmizana speedboat will be waiting for you to take you across to St Klement. The cost of this service is €12 per head and will be billed to your room in resort.
What do I pack?
- At least two Swimming costumes
- Wetsuit - optional (although not allowed for traditional English Channel Solo or Relay Swimmers)*
- Two Pairs of swim goggles – one clear and one tinted
- Small daypack/rucksack to use for your personal equipment/clothing during the day
- Sandals/aqua shoes/flip flops – for getting wet
- Insect repellent (lemon based non-Deet repellents are good)
- Insect bite relief
- Warm hat, fleece or warm jumper, tracksuit trousers/sweat pants
- Waterproof coat/jacket
- Waterproof watch
- Sun hat, sun cream and glasses
- Travel insurance
- USB stick for your swim stroke video (these will also be uploaded to an online folder for you to access)
Wetsuits*Anyone that requires a swim specific wetsuit, can hire or buy ta swim wetsuit from www.mywetsuithire.co.uk. Please feel free to call mywetsuit hire and let them know you’re coming on a SwimQuest, they will be happy to advise you. If you do hire a wetsuit, please allow sufficient time for at least 3-4 swims of 1-1.5km to acclimatise to wearing the suit. Feel free to contact the office if you have any queries.
READY TO BOOK?We’re excited about meeting you in Croatia. To book your long distance trip, simply fill in the booking form below. Once you have submitted the form, Charlotte (our bookings co-ordinator) will be in touch to request payment and to help you with any additional requirements.
A deposit of 30% is required to secure your place, and the final payment is due 8 weeks prior to departure. Payments can be made by debit / credit card, by cheque, or by bank transfer.
100% FINANCIAL PROTECTIONSwimQuest is a proud member of the Travel Trust Association, the only travel network in the UK to guarantee 100% financial protection to the consumer, ensuring total consumer confidence.
TERMS AND CONDITIONSIn booking with us, you accept our terms and conditions, which can be found here. If at any point you have any questions, feel free to contact us:
Charlotte Benton | +44 7743 233803 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Alice Todd | +44 7825 301443 | email@example.com